Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I need help in deciding which Uni I want to go to. Birmingham, Cardiff, Brighton and York are for Sociology and Education, and UEA is for Education.Can anybody tell me anything at all about the course, the student life, and the city in any of these universities please?

I went to Birmingham last year and fell in love with the campus, but the only thing that is really worrying me is the city. I have been told by numerous people that Birmingham is a really dodgy city, theres nothing to do and its ugly. Can anybody ease my worries that the city is not as scummy as I have been told? I enjoy clubbing, but I am definitely more of a bar person and would get fed up of clubbing every single day, do you think that Birmingham is too much of a clubby uni for me?

At the moment I think that my favourite universities are UEA and Birmingham. I really loved UEA when I went as well. Can anyone give me a lowdown of that Uni?Im so sorry for all the questions but I am just so confused!

Thanks in advanceEmma

ReputationRep:
    I don't have up to date info on Birmingham but I worked there several years ago. The city has always had a reputation but I have found that unfair. It is a huge city and as with all cities they are impersonal. However I found the vast majority amongst the most friendly I have met. Broad Street and Brindley Place were full of pubs (at least they were then). The university is in lovely grounds and in a decent area. The big question is will you enjoy it in a big city. The night life there is as good as anywhere with theatres, concerts and pubs as well as clubs

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Birmingham, currently live there and I've also applied at the University of Birmingham. They city really isn't that bad. There are a couple of bits that aren't so nice, but the majority is really not all that bad. I wouldn't say the city centre is stunning itself, but certainly not ugly. I can't really say much about the bars and clubs in the city centre though, as I don't have much experience of this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.