The Student Room Group

1H-NMR of 4-vinylbenzoic acid

4-viny.png
Attachment not found

I've been provided with the following NMR spectrum for the following compound and been told to interpret it. However, as far as I know, it doesn't add up. It states along the bottom there is only 7 protons in the compound, when there is actually 8. There is also no peak for the carboxylic acid COO-H, which should surely be around 12 ppm. I understand the highest two peaks in ppm are for the 4 aromatic protons, and the lowest two peaks for ppm are for the three alkene protons, however it states there are only two? Anyone able to help?
Original post by CraigWM
4-viny.png
Attachment not found

I've been provided with the following NMR spectrum for the following compound and been told to interpret it. However, as far as I know, it doesn't add up. It states along the bottom there is only 7 protons in the compound, when there is actually 8. There is also no peak for the carboxylic acid COO-H, which should surely be around 12 ppm. I understand the highest two peaks in ppm are for the 4 aromatic protons, and the lowest two peaks for ppm are for the three alkene protons, however it states there are only two? Anyone able to help?

Read along the bottom 2,2,1,1,1

There is no OH from acid as might be broad and not seen, could have been washed out with D2O or they have not shown you the relevant part of the spectrum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending