Turn on thread page Beta

How did the bmat go?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted to ask everyone who sat the BMAT today how it went, i'm aware that there probably is an official thread for this question but I just wanted to make this so that i could get some tips for next year when i sit the exam whilst it's still fresh in your minds! A few questions:
    a) was it much more difficult that you revision materials?
    b) after taking the test now, which resources do you think give the best representation of the actual test from the ones you've heard about/used?
    c) What's the best way to revise for each individual section (from section 1 to 3?)
    4) Any tips for the actual day or in general?
    Thank you so much in advance and I hope it went well for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Firstly, good luck with your revision, I'm impressed you're starting this early!
    a) Section 1 this year was one of the hardest I've seen, lots of big blocks of text to read very quickly. However, apart from a few absolute stinkers, Section 2 wasn't too bad and Section 3 wasn't as obscure as some of the past papers I've seen.
    b/c) I always stand by just doing past papers. For Section 1 especially. If you go to the BMAT site you'll find them. As you seem to be keen to start I'd suggest leaving the most recent 1 or 2 papers for the week or so prior to your exam and space the others out over the couple of months before. Because there aren't that many, any kind of time pressured logic puzzles, critical thinking style argument analysis, spatial awareness tests and UKCAT style stats analysis questions are good practice. Section 3 is easier to revise for. Find half an hour a fortnight to pump out an essay on one of the past topics and hand it in to an English teacher or a Philosophy and Ethics teacher and they'll give a decent idea of how you're doing
    4 (I like your style of listing btw)) Just try and chill out, if there aren't many people taking BMAT at your college, try having a chat to the invigilator beforehand. Most don't mind and if you arrive early it always put me at ease to know that they're just a normal person and it makes it all seem a little less weird!! Be aware that you an ask your invigilator for reminders on the time 10 minutes and 5 minutes before the end, ask them to do this and keep checking the clock. It's far too easy to get sidetracked on a question and spend 5 minutes you don't have!
    Basically, try and relax, stay focussed and know that what will be will be (But what will be will be success if you revise early and keep a level head in that exam hall!)

All the best, C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Dog)
    Hi! Firstly, good luck with your revision, I'm impressed you're starting this early!
    a) Section 1 this year was one of the hardest I've seen, lots of big blocks of text to read very quickly. However, apart from a few absolute stinkers, Section 2 wasn't too bad and Section 3 wasn't as obscure as some of the past papers I've seen.
    b/c) I always stand by just doing past papers. For Section 1 especially. If you go to the BMAT site you'll find them. As you seem to be keen to start I'd suggest leaving the most recent 1 or 2 papers for the week or so prior to your exam and space the others out over the couple of months before. Because there aren't that many, any kind of time pressured logic puzzles, critical thinking style argument analysis, spatial awareness tests and UKCAT style stats analysis questions are good practice. Section 3 is easier to revise for. Find half an hour a fortnight to pump out an essay on one of the past topics and hand it in to an English teacher or a Philosophy and Ethics teacher and they'll give a decent idea of how you're doing
    4 (I like your style of listing btw)) Just try and chill out, if there aren't many people taking BMAT at your college, try having a chat to the invigilator beforehand. Most don't mind and if you arrive early it always put me at ease to know that they're just a normal person and it makes it all seem a little less weird!! Be aware that you an ask your invigilator for reminders on the time 10 minutes and 5 minutes before the end, ask them to do this and keep checking the clock. It's far too easy to get sidetracked on a question and spend 5 minutes you don't have!
    Basically, try and relax, stay focussed and know that what will be will be (But what will be will be success if you revise early and keep a level head in that exam hall!)

All the best, C
    Hi! Sorry I didn't see this till now because I got no notification. Yes haha it is very much so early days for me but I know that you guys did it recently and everytime i seem to ask people how the UKCAT went they say they've forgotten so i thought i'd ask whilst you still remember aha. Just a few general questions about the test:
    How much in advance did you start preparing for the BMAT?
    Which resources would you recommend I purchase?
    Is the Kaplan course worth it?
    You know how you said to give the mini-essays to an English teacher to mark and give me an idea of how i'm doing, is there a specific marking criteria i need to give them?
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    Michelle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAgirl)
    Hi! Sorry I didn't see this till now because I got no notification. Yes haha it is very much so early days for me but I know that you guys did it recently and everytime i seem to ask people how the UKCAT went they say they've forgotten so i thought i'd ask whilst you still remember aha. Just a few general questions about the test:
    How much in advance did you start preparing for the BMAT?
    Which resources would you recommend I purchase?
    Is the Kaplan course worth it?
    You know how you said to give the mini-essays to an English teacher to mark and give me an idea of how i'm doing, is there a specific marking criteria i need to give them?
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    Michelle
    Personally, only about 2-3 weeks, but I have a habit of leaving stuff until I get so stressed out that I have work my ass off for it!
    I you're happy to work past a few editing errors, I've heard that the BMAT 600 questions book is worth buying. I only used past papers online but that may not have been the best way to go. Also, I'd recommend buying an AS Critical Thinking textbook. They're only a few pounds on Amazon and they really help with the argument analysis questions in section 1.
    I went to a couple of talks by Bristol med students about the BMAT and I found those very helpful but I can't speak for the Kaplan course (sorry!).
    See here

No problem, always happy to help!
    C

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.