Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will it kick off if the Russian jet was brought down by an ISIS bomb? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's looking to be the case now: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6720696.html

Putin doesn't mess around...

ReputationRep:
    “Prove we did not” sums up how much weight ought to be given to these claims imo.

ReputationRep:
    Putin is probably going to try to continue to claim (via RT) that this is some sort of accident. It's extremely bad news for him that Al Queda or ISIS affiliates can reach out to mass murder Russian civilians with such apparent ease, so soon after Russia's rather desultory bombing of ISIS positions in the middle of their campaign to destroy opponents of Assad that should be left alone.

So to be brief, Putin and the Russian government will probably lie through their teeth about it.

If another Russian plane is brought down somewhere else, it will get hard to maintain the lie though.

It's genuinely amazing in a way that this has happened and proves that the forces of Islamist extremism are something to be reckoned with. The particular form of religion that Saudi Arabia has foisted onto the Arab world is becoming more and more pernicious and the rest of the world is sooner or later going to have to deal much more harshly with it, more than likely.

ReputationRep:
    If ISIS hadn't been around it would have been Al Qaeda. If it hadn't been Al Qaeda it would have been Ukrainians. If it hadn't been Ukrainians it would have been Chechnyan separatists. If it hadn't been Chechnyan separatists it would have been the CIA. If it hadn't been the CIA it would have been the Russian mafia.

My money is on Aeroflot's notoriously poor maintenance record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Well, I have to point out that it wasn't Aeroflot who operated that flight as far as I'm aware (I'm originally from St Petersburg myself, that's where the plane was flying to, so my family has been talking a lot about it), but you're right, because the company that operated this flight had a poor safety record, which has been mentioned in a few articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    If ISIS hadn't been around it would have been Al Qaeda. If it hadn't been Al Qaeda it would have been Ukrainians. If it hadn't been Ukrainians it would have been Chechnyan separatists. If it hadn't been Chechnyan separatists it would have been the CIA. If it hadn't been the CIA it would have been the Russian mafia.

It was a Metrojet flight, not Aeroflot.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.