Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any good books that can extend knowledge beyond A-Level? But at the same time make A-Level FM easier? (FP2, FP3)
    Could potentially help me with STEP also.

Can be topic-based books like a book on Calculus or something..

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Does anyone know of any good books that can extend knowledge beyond A-Level? But at the same time make A-Level FM easier? (FP2, FP3)
    Could potentially help me with STEP also.

Can be topic-based books like a book on Calculus or something..

Thanks in advance.
    I remember you asking a similar question before but that time you wanted recommended books for Further Maths. I believe any books on Calculus would be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    I remember you asking a similar question before but that time you wanted recommended books for Further Maths. I believe any books on Calculus would be good.
    Yeah I later found that the standard Edexcel books are more than enough :P
    This is different, something I can do outside of my studies

ReputationRep:
    Calculus: Michael Spivak
    Rudin: Principles of Mathematical Analysis
    Things to make and do in four dimensions
    Visual complex analysis by Needham

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. There is a Calculus book by James Stewart. I don't know if that would help you with STEP but I think it does go beyond the A level syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. There is a Calculus book by James Stewart. I don't know if that would help you with STEP but I think it does go beyond the A level syllabus.
    No book is really going to help with STEP, to be honest, and if it does, very very little. The only thing that's going to help is gaining mathematical maturity and thinking about hard problems on a consistent basis. You have all the knowledge required already and you need only apply it creatively and in involved ways, books aren't really(*) going to help with that.

(*) Of course the odd book like AOPS that might help develop your problem solving ability may help, but I maintain that those books still neglect to convey the STEP style of problem solving and you'd be much better served practising STEP instead of hunting down books that may or may not help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No book is really going to help with STEP, to be honest, and if it does, very very little. The only thing that's going to help is gaining mathematical maturity and thinking about hard problems on a consistent basis. You have all the knowledge required already and you need only apply it creatively and in involved ways, books aren't really(*) going to help with that.

(*) Of course the odd book like AOPS that might help develop your problem solving ability may help, but I maintain that those books still neglect to convey the STEP style of problem solving and you'd be much better served practising STEP instead of hunting down books that may or may not help.
    That's very true! Though I think having a genuine understanding and insight of concepts is the key to tackling problems with techniques.

ReputationRep:
    That's very true! Though I think having a genuine understanding and insight of concepts is the key to tackling problems with techniques.
    Of course, but I think gaining a genuine understanding and insight of concepts comes from tackling problems.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, but I think gaining a genuine understanding and insight of concepts comes from tackling problems.
    You mean without checking the solutions? If so, then yes

ReputationRep:
    You mean without checking the solutions? If so, then yes
    Why would anybody check the solutions? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Why would anybody check the solutions? :rofl:
    To be sure that they are right

ReputationRep:
    Calculus: Michael Spivak
    Rudin: Principles of Mathematical Analysis
    Things to make and do in four dimensions
    Visual complex analysis by Needham
    Thank you both.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.