Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawn from nursing course, options? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been withdrawn form my nursing course in my third year because I failed twice my final placement. The University awarded me a Higher Diploma in Health and Social Care.

I still want to be a Nurse but have no idea on what to do with the Diploma. Talked to 3 Universities that told me that they would not accept me onto their courses and told me that maybe the RCN could help me more. After 3 months on talks they told me that it is up to the Universities. So I think I will ask other universities about it.

Has anybody gone through the same as me or has got any useful information? I'm sure they've got to be some people out there.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any experiences like yours but I was wondering if you knew why you failed your placement twice? Maybe if you can reflect on what went wrong and show how you will do things differently next time you might be accepted into another university. If the RCN says it's up to the universities then I'd guess you need to show you can change and improve in order to meet the necessary standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    I don't have any experiences like yours but I was wondering if you knew why you failed your placement twice? Maybe if you can reflect on what went wrong and show how you will do things differently next time you might be accepted into another university. If the RCN says it's up to the universities then I'd guess you need to show you can change and improve in order to meet the necessary standards.
    Thanks Jenx301

That's what they told me. Fact of the matter is: the admission teams of the Universities I spoke to - all of them seniors in the offices - told me that there would have been NO possibility of taking on a student withdrawn from another university and that I had to start the 3 years all over. And I can not believe that all the effort and sweat of all the exams sustained can be binned so easily.

Of course I reflected and if given the possibility, can write e reflection piece in regards of it. Still nobody offers me any possibility.

So, if anybody's got any info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Keep trying, i am sure that somewhere will accept you to complete your final year. Good luck.

(Original post by chris1505)
    Thanks Jenx301

That's what they told me. Fact of the matter is: the admission teams of the Universities I spoke to - all of them seniors in the offices - told me that there would have been NO possibility of taking on a student withdrawn from another university and that I had to start the 3 years all over. And I can not believe that all the effort and sweat of all the exams sustained can be binned so easily.

Of course I reflected and if given the possibility, can write e reflection piece in regards of it. Still nobody offers me any possibility.

So, if anybody's got any info I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapped)
    Keep trying, i am sure that somewhere will accept you to complete your final year. Good luck.
    Thanks Trapped.

If anybody's got the names of any Universities where they know they that convert passed the exams in other Universities in London, please post here. I think more than 1 student is trapped in this situation.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris1505)
    Thanks Trapped.

If anybody's got the names of any Universities where they know they that convert passed the exams in other Universities in London, please post here. I think more than 1 student is trapped in this situation.

Thanks
    Send me your reports and I will have a look - Senior Sister here - band 7 - seen a couple of people in your position before - PM me OK

ReputationRep:
    So basically no options.

The options are to start as a HCA with no guarantee to become a nurse or hoping to get on the open university course, still with no guarantee.

Gutted.4 years of blood and sweat thrown in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Chris, I went through exactly the same thing. I passed my management/final placement, but failed the last module of the coursework by TWO MARKS!!!. I've appealed and had my appeal rejected. Contacted many universities and all gave me the same replies! After 3 years of hard work, to not be given a chance to complete the course is soul destroying! Please let me know what you did next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara88)
    Hi Chris, I went through exactly the same thing. I passed my management/final placement, but failed the last module of the coursework by TWO MARKS!!!. I've appealed and had my appeal rejected. Contacted many universities and all gave me the same replies! After 3 years of hard work, to not be given a chance to complete the course is soul destroying! Please let me know what you did next.
    Don't you get 2 attempts at a piece of work?? 3rd is appeal? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    Don't you get 2 attempts at a piece of work?? 3rd is appeal? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes i did.. We normally get 3 attemps. However I had sumbitted my assigement late on the second submittion which meant they'd mark it as a 3rd attempt. And unfortunetly i failed by 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara88)
    Yes i did.. We normally get 3 attemps. However I had sumbitted my assigement late on the second submittion which meant they'd mark it as a 3rd attempt. And unfortunetly i failed by 2 marks.
    Wow that is so harsh I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I wish you luck in your future studies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI, i'm in the same situation atm, I failed my retake and im in my third year doing my management placement.Can anyone please help me or advice me on what they did? I have contacted universities and they all have replied with the same thing that they don't accept 3rd years. I cant be the only one in this situation and I don't understand how they can let my 3 years of hard work not count. Any help will be really appreciated. Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position been suffering from mental health problems had 6 months off , came back too soon and my nerves got the better of me . Is there any way of completing my degree in the future even if it meant a whole 3 years ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellebell)
    I'm in the same position been suffering from mental health problems had 6 months off , came back too soon and my nerves got the better of me . Is there any way of completing my degree in the future even if it meant a whole 3 years ?
    i would say your in a better position than the other folks on this thread, i would suggest asking to be put back ayear they know you were ill so it should not be too hard. your going to need to be stable by the time to register comes by.

to the other posters im so sorry that youve done so much work and been failed at the last hurdle.

the twice failed placement what did your mentors say that they believed that you were not safe to sign off on. they must have warned you. to fail some one involves more hassle than giving a d grade. they must have had serious concerns.
    . they would have had to communicate with the uni before they could they should have tried to resole their concerns. with two failed sign offs i dont see another uni taking you on. if that policy was not done properly it may give you grounds to appeal.

being late handing in your resit really was suicide your marks dropped the longer it was over due as it would have been a bare pass anyway its not surprising it failed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry to jump the post! And I'm aware this is an old post but worth a try! I completed my first year at LJMU, I started my second year but due to domestic difficulties and to withdraw. I still want to become a nurse more than anything and I am currently working as a support worker. Is there anything I can.do to try again starting at the pioneer I left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Send me your reports and I will have a look - Senior Sister here - band 7 - seen a couple of people in your position before - PM me OK
    Hi
    I saw that you offered to hell thd anove student .Im in a similar predicament.I failed my last modile twice and my request to repeat the assessment was declined.Im now on appeal stage.Eould you pleade assist me too??

Thank you in advance

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.