Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm in Y11 and I take dual-entry iGCSE Maths and AdMaths (I'm doing them both this year, as opposed to doing the former the year before). Sixth form choices are coming, and I'm most probably going to go down the IB route, but this is yet to be decided.

I've been predicted A* and A (AdMaths only goes up to A), but I had a talk with my teacher today on whether Higher Maths at IB would be good for me and he told me that he could not see me doing it, because although I get good grades and my problem solving is good, I don't have this 'fluency' or 'natural mathematical flair' that the Maths Department at my school is looking for. As for A-level, he said that I would be best off doing Maths + Further AS.

Any of you out there who do IB Higher/AL Further and have been in this situation or are willing to offer some advice, or some suggestions? I have never had tutoring so I think I could give it a shot, but I'm taking over 10 GCSEs so extra work will be tough on my homework schedule. Fellow mathematicians, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, currently in Yr13 and doing HL Maths in the IB. Obviously I don't know the A level syllabus too well but from what I've heard, the exam of the IB is considered much less routine than its counterpart and time time is often an issue.
    If you're used to the GCSE style questions I think you will do fine on the A level course - it's probably easier in the end, in terms of getting good grades. Of course you can always give the IB a shot and see if what they say is true.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure how the IB system works, do you have to choose your HLs at the start? As for A-Level, you could go with AS Further Maths at first and carry on at A2 if you perform well.

Do you have an idea of what kind of uni courses you want to apply for? You should also consider whether or not taking further maths/HL maths will benefit your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    I'm not too sure how the IB system works, do you have to choose your HLs at the start? As for A-Level, you could go with AS Further Maths at first and carry on at A2 if you perform well.

Do you have an idea of what kind of uni courses you want to apply for? You should also consider whether or not taking further maths/HL maths will benefit your application.
    I believe anywhere that accepts A level maths will accept the IB.

To OP - yes, I don't think you can choose only IB HL maths, you'd have to select 6 subjects in the IB diploma: 3 higher level, and 3 standard level subjects. There is also the Theory of Knowledge and the Extended Essay which contributes to 3/45 of your total IB score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oniisanitstoobig)
    I believe anywhere that accepts A level maths will accept the IB.
    Of course. I think you misunderstood, what I meant was he should consider whether taking HL maths instead of SL would benefit his application for the course he wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    A levels are now linear, so you cannot drop down at the end of Y12, you have to know what you want to do, which will be done over the course of 2 years, so there is no more AS and A2. You can take a full A level over 2 years, or an AS which is a freestanding qualification. Also why I'm having trouble

ReputationRep:
    Of course. I think you misunderstood, what I meant was he should consider whether taking HL maths instead of SL would benefit his application for the course he wants to do.
    Ya mean what she wants to do. haha

ReputationRep:

I have always wanted to study mathematics or something maths related (like finance and accounting) alongside chemistry, which I want to do in the US as you can double major, as maths and chem are my two main passions. On the maths side of things, HL/Further is definitely needed, but I'm still doing research to see if I can get away with a Further AS. If not, I'll have to look into doing some extra work or going to tutoring.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, currently in Yr13 and doing HL Maths in the IB. Obviously I don't know the A level syllabus too well but from what I've heard, the exam of the IB is considered much less routine than its counterpart and time time is often an issue.
    If you're used to the GCSE style questions I think you will do fine on the A level course - it's probably easier in the end, in terms of getting good grades. Of course you can always give the IB a shot and see if what they say is true.
    My school does GCSE but we are very into the IB way of thinking as we are very international, and the teachers have a tendency to teach in a combination of both manners as they usually teach both syllabuses to their 6 form students. I used to go to a completely IB orientated school so I think IB won't be that much of a shock. But is it the workload that puts most people off do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsphn2564)
    My school does GCSE but we are very into the IB way of thinking as we are very international, and the teachers have a tendency to teach in a combination of both manners as they usually teach both syllabuses to their 6 form students. I used to go to a completely IB orientated school so I think IB won't be that much of a shock. But is it the workload that puts most people off do you think?
    In my school my, ~50 people were doing it at the start of the year; halfway through Yr12 there were ~15. The workload is certainly heavy but I doubt it's any more than A levels - in fact I believe if you do A level + A level FM, you'll have more content to learn.

I think it's mostly the exam that puts people off - it is quite unfamiliar at first and takes some getting used to. Questions often involves multiple (some not very well known) areas of the course at a time and you're expected to make the connections for the answer. You will be spending time throughout the year, every day if you want the top grades - though some people in my class never really achieves the 7s despite working very hard, which is what I think they meant by 'natural aptitude'.

ReputationRep:
    In my school my, ~50 people were doing it at the start of the year; halfway through Yr12 there were ~15. The workload is certainly heavy but I doubt it's any more than A levels - in fact I believe if you do A level + A level FM, you'll have more content to learn.

I think it's mostly the exam that puts people off - it is quite unfamiliar at first and takes some getting used to. Questions often involves multiple (some not very well known) areas of the course at a time and you're expected to make the connections for the answer. You will be spending time throughout the year, every day if you want the top grades - though some people in my class never really achieves the 7s despite working very hard, which is what I think they meant by 'natural aptitude'.
    I see. But say if I were to do Maths + Further AS, do you still think I'd be able to get into a maths course at uni or something maths related like statistics, or MORSE at Warwick or finance and accounting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsphn2564)
    I see. But say if I were to do Maths + Further AS, do you still think I'd be able to get into a maths course at uni or something maths related like statistics, or MORSE at Warwick or finance and accounting?
    Of course, they're considered as equivalent by universities. I'd say the A Level route is a bit easier in terms of getting good grades.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.