Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My personal statement is 4,500 characters with spaces. However its under 47 lines. Do i still need to cut it down ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda_girl17)
    My personal statement is 4,500 characters with spaces. However its under 47 lines. Do i still need to cut it down ??
    Oh yes. Read my profile to see why you need to get rid of about a quarter of what you have now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need to cut it down. Sure fire way to check is to copy/paste into UCAS and see if it allows it. It's whichever limit you reach first. So you've gone over 4000 characters first, if you see what I mean? You need to cut down the characters.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    UCAS takes up more space that a word document does. You'll need to cut some words down. This happened to me, it's so annoying that they don't warn us about it beforehand!

Always aim to write 3600 characters on Word (including spaces) and it'll fit just fine. It'll even give you some space to seperate your PS into 3 or 4 paragraphs.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you need to meet both stipulations.

And remember, the amount of lines taken up in word won't be the same as the amount of lines you'd take up in the UCAS application, and the same with the character limit for some reason (one is wrong); that happened to me in my UCAS application, I had to keep finding characters to remove, because although it said there were less than 4,000 characters, UCAS still said I was X amount over the limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    UCAS takes up more space that a word document does. You'll need to cut some words down. This happened to me, it's so annoying that they don't warn us about it beforehand!

Always aim to write 3600 characters on Word (including spaces) and it'll fit just fine. It'll even give you some space to seperate your PS into 3 or 4 paragraphs.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much! I will cut it down and aim for 3600 characters ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Yes, you need to meet both stipulations.

And remember, the amount of lines taken up in word won't be the same as the amount of lines you'd take up in the UCAS application, and the same with the character limit for some reason (one is wrong); that happened to me in my UCAS application, I had to keep finding characters to remove, because although it said there were less than 4,000 characters, UCAS still said I was X amount over the limit.
    Oh I see. Thank you, I will make sure I stay within the limits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Yes, you need to cut it down. Sure fire way to check is to copy/paste into UCAS and see if it allows it. It's whichever limit you reach first. So you've gone over 4000 characters first, if you see what I mean? You need to cut down the characters.
    Thank you for the tip!, I shall test it out once I cut it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Oh yes. Read my profile to see why you need to get rid of about a quarter of what you have now.
    I read your profile. so how do i prevent a wall of text at the end of it all when the admissions tutor reads it? i tried leaving a line but after I save it UCAS shows it as one wall of text. what am i not doing right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda_girl17)
    Thank you so much! I will cut it down and aim for 3600 characters ^.^
    All I'm saying is that you might need to take more out, even if Word doesn't agree on character count, so to speak, so don't be surprised if that happens.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.