Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just want to know who on this forum don't speak english as his/her first language.

if you don't can u put down your first language?

ReputationRep:
    will there be a poll on this thread?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    tchnically I grew up speaking englich with my parents but Arabic and French when I was at school, and Arabic with my maids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    tchnically I grew up speaking englich with my parents but Arabic and French when I was at school, and Arabic with my maids
    Where did you grow up?

ReputationRep:
    English and German are both my "first" language. Originally my German was better than my English, but it's now the other way around. And, yeah...that's about it .
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Where did you grow up?
    was born and raised in Dubai

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was born in London and have lived here all my life, even though my parents are from Vietnam. So I would say English is my first language. At home, I speak Cantonese with my parents. I can't read or write it fluently though.

ReputationRep:
    no, English is not my first language even though I've been learning it for the past 10 yrs.

otherwise, my mother's tongue is Croatian (since both parents are Croatian), but my language of the surroundings and thus my best language is Slovene. even though I speak Croatian fluently, I'm rather poor in writing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cofactor)
    just want to know who on this forum don't speak english as his/her first language.

well my life is beyond complicated!
    i started off speaking arabic with my parents and family, and english and greek with the english and cypriot neighbours!
    then i started school where everything was in english,,,, so i can speak english as my first languages, i can speak it better than arabic or greek
    but its my 3rd to be precise!

Well, my first language is Greek but I ve graduated from a French high school here in Athens and I am going to study at an English uni. lol

ReputationRep:
    My first official language is supposedly (sp?!) english, but when I was 4 started french then 2 years later portuguese, which became my normal language... now after spending 9 years at an international school I suppose the most accurate description is EUROENGLISH?! If your not confused yet I sure am :confused:

ReputationRep:
    English is my first language but my cousins are more linguistically interesting. They have an Italian mother, English father, born in France, then moved to Spain and then later to Portugal. Now they are both at uni in England. So they are fluent in 5 languages. Wish I was!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    English is my first language but my cousins are more linguistically interesting. They have an Italian mother, English father, born in France, then moved to Spain and then later to Portugal. Now they are both at uni in England. So they are fluent in 5 languages. Wish I was!
    envious fortune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cofactor)

english is, but i was taught spanish from an early age but i didnt keep it up, and ive forgotten most of it now

i speak bad english too

ReputationRep:
    I´m from Finland and my mother tongue is Finnish. But I´m fluent in English, Swedish and French as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    english is, but i was taught spanish from an early age but i didnt keep it up, and ive forgotten most of it now

i speak bad english too
    what a contrast

ReputationRep:
    well, russian should be my first language, but it's actually english...well, i think so! Plus, I moved to england when i was 3 and im more comfortable with reading and writing in english(muuuch more confident!)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor)
    no, English is not my first language even though I've been learning it for the past 10 yrs.

otherwise, my mother's tongue is Croatian (since both parents are Croatian), but my language of the surroundings and thus my best language is Slovene. even though I speak Croatian fluently, I'm rather poor in writing...
    ohh, i think Croatian is one of the coolest languages :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sawahili is my first language but i can also speak emharik(ethopian language)
    and somali and sum other east african languages

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.