Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I failed in my first year in Bio, Chem, Maths & Computing: CUEE (respectively)

Resat the year did okay, then went to year 13, finished that and left with A*A*A*A*A* Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Business, Biology respectively.

What can I do? I want to do medicine (save me the pity responses. I know undergraduate is out the question but can I still get there through GEM?)

ReputationRep:
    If it's grad medicine, I think they'd put more focus on your degree result like a first or a 2.1 or something over your A levels.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by TheRedeemed)
    I failed in my first year in Bio, Chem, Maths & Computing: CUEE (respectively)

Resat the year did okay, then went to year 13, finished that and left with A*A*A*A*A* Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Business, Biology respectively.

What can I do? I want to do medicine (save me the pity responses. I know undergraduate is out the question but can I still get there through GEM?)
    Hi,

On the Oxford GEM A101 course website pages, it says "We accept that some excellent students are "late developers", and so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5); but we do need to see some hard evidence of real academic strength".

The Cambridge GEM course pages say that minimum requirements are:
    "GCSE requirements
    Passes at grades C or above in Double Award Science and Mathematics. Single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science.
    AS and A level requirements
    A level Chemistry (passed with seven years of entry) at grade A or A*, plus AS or A level passes in two of the following: Physics, Biology, Mathematics.
    Degree requirement
    At least an upper second-class honors degree in any discipline".

From the above two entry requirements, it seems as though you have a good shot. The A*s you've listed show that you have a strong academic background, and the fact that you re-took your C U E E grades means that you'll now have the entry requirements according to the website.

If you're still unsure, you could try phoning up admissions of universities and asking them?

We hope this helps,

TMP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRedeemed)
    A*A*A*A*A* Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Business, Biology respectively.
    It's funny how you say respectively when you got A* in every one of your subjects

As for your question, I don't know, sorry

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.