Turn on thread page Beta

Urgent question! Old spec vs new chemistry and biology watch

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me me difference I need to know. I did the old spec last year, failed them. But now I want to do the new spec since I can't do the old spec A2 coursework next year T^T.!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Montypower)
    Please tell me me difference I need to know. I did the old spec last year, failed them. But now I want to do the new spec since I can't do the old spec A2 coursework next year T^T.!!
    watch mean old spec coursework next year

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing the spec. The reforms have been put place to lower grade inflation which means our sciences will be harder, if you do an exam at the end of AS it will not count towards your final grade but it will give teachers/unis an idea of what your working at. This is not the case with maths and some other subjects as they change in 2017 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by )
    watch mean old spec coursework next year
    I mean that for the old specification for A2 chemistry and biology, this year is the last year. So next year schools wont teach the practical work and coursework.

So I'm thinking of doing the new specification rather than the old one. it'll cause me less hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K78R)
    I'm also doing the spec. The reforms have been put place to lower grade inflation which means our sciences will be harder, if you do an exam at the end of AS it will not count towards your final grade but it will give teachers/unis an idea of what your working at. This is not the case with maths and some other subjects as they change in 2017 I think.
    So will it be possible to self study the new specification for AS chemistry and biology. I pretty much know the content I just need to know If there practicals that I have to do.

ReputationRep:
    So will it be possible to self study the new specification for AS chemistry and biology. I pretty much know the content I just need to know If there practicals that I have to do.
    To be awarded any grade in AS/A-level Biology a teacher has to sign off forms saying you are competent in the required practicals. You also need to document all of the required practicals.

If your teacher feels you are not competent you will not be able to get a grade for Biology, even if you turn up for the exam. So you will effectively get a U overall. However the actual practicals are not graded! And just before you think of it, AQA have 'inspectors' come to schools to check the required practical books for each (but not every) student.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there are practicals, however they are not as important as they are before. For example, you get a grade in chemistry + another grade in a practical which is either a 'pass'or 'fail' imo this is better since the ISAs looked hard but they will blend in any relevant practical skills into the two exams like titration. My teacher said it is ridiculously easy to pass the practical section.

Also since AS grades don't count towards the final grade I don't actually think you need to do the practical for AS as you can just learn it in the book but my teacher said than the exam board may review our practical folder you should contact a school to check or email the exam board...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    To be awarded any grade in AS/A-level Biology a teacher has to sign off forms saying you are competent in the required practicals. You also need to document all of the required practicals.

If your teacher feels you are not competent you will not be able to get a grade for Biology, even if you turn up for the exam. So you will effectively get a U overall. However the actual practicals are not graded! And just before you think of it, AQA have 'inspectors' come to schools to check the required practical books for each (but not every) student.
    I see thanks for telling me. I probably need to ask the centre I'm with how they're going to asses my practicals. Since the only thing I can do at home is study the content and I can't do the practicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K78R)
    Yes there are practicals, however they are not as important as they are before. For example, you get a grade in chemistry + another grade in a practical which is either a 'pass'or 'fail' imo this is better since the ISAs looked hard but they will blend in any relevant practical skills into the two exams like titration. My teacher said it is ridiculously easy to pass the practical section.

Also since AS grades don't count towards the final grade I don't actually think you need to do the practical for AS as you can just learn it in the book but my teacher said than the exam board may review our practical folder you should contact a school to check or email the exam board...
    Yeah the ISA's were hard last year. I got a B for it but failed my exams. I was thinking of retaking my exams this year for AS without A2 cause it costs too much. But looks like theyre going to scrap the old specification for A2 next year so there is no chance I can do that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the ISA's were hard last year. I got a B for it but failed my exams. I was thinking of retaking my exams this year for AS without A2 cause it costs too much. But looks like theyre going to scrap the old specification for A2 next year so there is no chance I can do that.
    Hope you get it round this time buddy.

ReputationRep:
    I mean that for the old specification for A2 chemistry and biology, this year is the last year. So next year schools wont teach the practical work and coursework.

So I'm thinking of doing the new specification rather than the old one. it'll cause me less hassle.
    But i'm doing A2 Bio and Chem now and my school are teaching me it. The only problem for you would be AS but that can be taught yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K78R)
    Hope you get it round this time buddy, I like learning from other people so what would you say brought your performance down in the exams?
    I am happy you asked that, shows you're keen to do well. Thing is I am sort of a rare case. It is sort of reasonable but at the same time it kinda isn't. Look, I had family problems/money and life, stuff like that. I was really keen on doing well until sometime last year around this time, I was told we were moving to a different country and I realised A-Levels in that country were of absolute no use.

So I was like f*** it and I stopped trying and I was like I really don't care whatever I get because I'll just start a new life. Little did I know 8 to 9 months later, we moved but we didn't like the place and it wasn't really suitable enough.

However I really wanted to stay because I know I failed my A-Levels before it was results day. I had like a breakdown and was really depressed because I thought I will start a 'new' life in that country and focus on my studies there. Coming back was the hardest thing ever. And here I am now...actually trying to study and do well but then those REFORMS had to kick me in the face.

This was one of those moments when life was against you.
    But I'm trying to recover, my only advice is that you need to just focus on small goals everyday to eventually reach your biggest goal. I hope the best for you.

ReputationRep:
    But i'm doing A2 Bio and Chem now and my school are teaching me it. The only problem for you would be AS but that can be taught yourself
    Thats the tricky bit, I'm not in school nor doing A2. I'm a private candidate retaking his AS Levels.

ReputationRep:
    I am happy you asked that, shows you're keen to do well. Thing is I am sort of a rare case. It is sort of reasonable but at the same time it kinda isn't. Look, I had family problems, money, life, stuff like that. I was really keen on doing well until sometime last year around this time, I was told we were moving to a different country and I realised A-Levels in that country were of absolute no use.

So I was like f*** it and I stopped trying and I was like I really don't care whatever I get because I'll just start a new life. Little did I know 8 to 9 months later, we moved but we didn't like the place and it wasn't really suitable enough.

However I really wanted to stay because I know I failed my A-Levels before it was results day. I had like a breakdown and was really depressed because I thought I will start a 'new' life in that country and focus on my studies there. Coming back was the hardest thing ever. And here I am now...actually trying to study and do well but then those REFORMS had to kick me in the face.

This was one of those moments when life was against you.
    But I'm trying to recover, my only advice is that you need to just focus on small goals everyday to eventually reach your biggest goal. I hope the best for you.
    That's very unfortunate to hear, yeah I guess I will aim for the small goals first...

I guess the conservatives have lost most of the students' respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K78R)
    That's very unfortunate to hear, yeah I guess I will aim for the small goals first...

I guess the conservatives have lost most of the students' respect.
    Yup, you're quite right with that one. But regardless of what obstacle they throw at me, I will overcome it.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the tricky bit, I'm not in school nor doing A2. I'm a private candidate retaking his AS Levels.
    Wouldn't relearning just be easier as you've already learnt it, you don't have two do 2 years with finals at end of both years.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't relearning just be easier as you've already learnt it, you don't have two do 2 years with finals at end of both years.
    I wish it was that easy. I want to do that but who is going to teach me the A2 Coursework/ISA next year in A2. No school will be offering any help for it I think. Which is what I'm most worried about. I am going to call a TON of schools tomorrow to see what they will do with students like me.

Keep in mind that A2 next year is going to be people who are studying the new syllabus.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.