Turn on thread page Beta

Gap Year Travelling / Working at Tesco watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have been working at Tesco during my gap year since the beginning of June. It is a bit depressing but whatever. I've always dreamed of going interrailing around Europe, which I hope to do around April/May time for about three weeks-a month. The thing is, I don't have the holidays for this (nor would I want to blow them all in one go) and I haven't been working long enough to apply for unpaid leave. I could always quit, but then I would have no job to go back to for over the summer and I wouldn't be able to get a transfer, so I wouldn't have a job lined up for uni. Anyone able to help with sorting my life out?

(Original post by spookyfire)
    I have been working at Tesco during my gap year since the beginning of June. It is a bit depressing but whatever. I've always dreamed of going interrailing around Europe, which I hope to do around April/May time for about three weeks-a month. The thing is, I don't have the holidays for this (nor would I want to blow them all in one go) and I haven't been working long enough to apply for unpaid leave. I could always quit, but then I would have no job to go back to for over the summer and I wouldn't be able to get a transfer, so I wouldn't have a job lined up for uni. Anyone able to help with sorting my life out?
    Quit. Don't just use the whole gap year to work if its depressing. You should have something to make it all worthwhile at the end.

Just apply for a new job when you get back..

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you think about doing voluntary work along side of your job at Tesco. It might be difficult to handle but it would make you so much more experienced.

Also, if you haven't got holidays, but you must get regular days off, why don't you travel around your country, or climb a mountain or do anything else adventurous?! You might need to talk to your manager to get about three or four days off together in a row.

People usually misunderstanding what a gap year can consist of, it's not just travelling - there's so much more to that! Consider learning a new language at basic level, do something your passionate about, it could be anything and expertise in it! Just remember to do something you will have fun doing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'd quit you know. Having the memories of travelling and experiencing new things will be worth more to you than working for the whole year. There's always a chance that they'll take you back on when you get back, especially if you explain to them what you're doing. Good luck, I know gap years are full of choices really aren't they? They're supposed to be a break but you have so much freedom you don't know what to do with it all!

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely quit, and then reapply for a job once you are back. You need to make the most of this wonderful opportunity.

This is an experience - interrailing - you will never regret.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.