Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I do biology and chemistry a level if I didn't go great in core science watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A little bit of background- In year 10, I did my core papers and I got a C. However, before the exams, we did an ISA and I was one mark off an A, but when I saw my results, it said I got a C, I've spoken to my current teacher about it but she was unsure of what to do as all of my science teachers in Year 10 have left.

I really want to do Biology and Chemistry for A level but in the sixth form I want to go to, you need a minimum of B in core AND additional. I know its difficult but I'll work so so so hard because I want to be a dentist when I'm older. I was/am predicted a B in core and additional, and I'm doing really well in English,Science and Maths right now.

Now I'm unsure of what to do!

ReputationRep:
    i found core harder than additional

i did triple btw - just do past papers and use the specification
    I got AA*A in core add and fadd
    and got BCC in bio, chem and phys at AS

you're gonna have to work really hard in A levels - like REALLY hard but millions do it every year so it's possible dw

someone in year 10 wanted to do medicine - they have similar entry requirements and either way I gave him some advice he thought was good so go have a look

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3691501

if you have any other questions after reading through my post (post number 5) - don't hesitate to message me I'm always online

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just read the post and that was so helpful! thank you so much also do you think its best if i retake core science?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be a downer but it's risky. Like the above poster has said a levels are very hard I know people who got A's at GCSE science and didn't do too well at a level Ask yourself about your level of commitment to the subject, I would try and resit core just to get at least a B Good luck

(Original post by sophial07)
    A little bit of background- In year 10, I did my core papers and I got a C. However, before the exams, we did an ISA and I was one mark off an A, but when I saw my results, it said I got a C, I've spoken to my current teacher about it but she was unsure of what to do as all of my science teachers in Year 10 have left.

I really want to do Biology and Chemistry for A level but in the sixth form I want to go to, you need a minimum of B in core AND additional. I know its difficult but I'll work so so so hard because I want to be a dentist when I'm older. I was/am predicted a B in core and additional, and I'm doing really well in English,Science and Maths right now.

Now I'm unsure of what to do!
    Unless it was due to either extenuating circumstances or lack of motivation/effort that you're very sure that you can reverse, I'd advise against it. A Levels are hard even for people who get top grades at GCSE, especially chemistry, which seems to be the source of untold misery to a lot of people.

You can try to negotiate with your sixth form about whether they'd be happy for you to resit some exams and bring your grades up to the required standard but, if I'm honest, they aren't just putting up barriers for people -- they really do expect that anything less than a B will mean misery for you at A Level.

You may think you want to be a dentist but I suggest thinking about why you want to be a dentist. Get some work experience and then, if you still want to do it, then consider doing chemistry and biology at A Level. No need to put yourself through two years of hell for no reason.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.