Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What a charming lot these anti-austerity, anti-tuition fees protesters are, their face coverings make them look ever so friendly. As you have guessed, I am joking, the country did nor see violent protests from Tories when Tony Blair won the election in 1997, nor did the Tories protest when Labour opened the borders up to Eastern Europe.

I was asked last week if I was ashamed to hold centre-right beliefs, the answer has never been a stronger know, these protests are a trade mark of the metropolitan left-wing in Britain who need to learn manners before campaigning for something; their voices will be louder that way. In the first picture a formation of people dressed in all black with only their eyes showing, carrying wooden placards that are similar to shields as they march down the street criticising anyone who disagrees.

ReputationRep:
    It's something I'd noticed for years, Nige.

(Left leaner)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I got caught up in an anti democracy protest of 10,000 people a few months back, in London, god it was awe full. The BBC didn't acknowledge it's existence...

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry, the right wing are watching their mobiles, recording their internet history and god knows what else whilst selling it to corporations.

Bless those civilised right wingers.

ReputationRep:
    I'd point out that having spoken to many police officers present they all agreed it was a peaceful protest which was going off without a hitch, hell most of the police were having a good time they said and enjoying it. Then Black Bloc turned up, an anarchist group who wear black head to toe, and started attacking police officers and throwing flares in the crowd, after which the demo leaders called off the rest of the demo to stop things going out of hand. Not the left wing but anarchists, and these kind of demos have happened since the Labour Government of Tony Blair introduced tuition fees so

ReputationRep:
    Austerity does not work it is a broken idea which ensures the people with the money and assets retain the wealth at the expense of the taxpayer.Actually it was a lack of backbone and regulation and camerons mates who caused it in the first place.Tony Blair was too far right to be classed as labour leader but wore the colours anyway, he would probably still been popular if he did not go to Iraq.Anyway getting the insignificance out of the way, a lot of tory voters voted for their myths, the novelty of thatcher or was anti immigration. I am against the EU and i would probably say I'm moderate left economically but (I'm awaiting a backlash for this comment) I am totally against immigration no matter the circumstances I live in the West Mids most the people on mh estate do not speak english. (Getting more insignificance out of the way) . The right do not protest because some are careless and do not have the passion which some of the left do. Some are too rich to care and most moderate to large companiesbdo tax avoidance/evasion so do not care anyway.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    What a charming lot these anti-austerity, anti-tuition fees protesters are, their face coverings make them look ever so friendly. As you have guessed, I am joking, the country did nor see violent protests from Tories when Tony Blair won the election in 1997, not did the country see violent protests when Labour opened up the borders in the Eastern European countries.

I was asked last week if I was ashamed to hold centre-right beliefs, the answer has never been a stronger know, these protests are a trade mark of the metropolitan left-wing in Britain who need to learn manners before campaigning for something; their voices will be louder that way. In the first picture a formation of people dressed in all black with only their eyes showing, carrying wooden placards that are similar to shields as they march down a street criticising anyone who disagrees with them.

ReputationRep:

"I want free education, and I want him to pay for it!"

What is it with people demanding "rich" people giving them their money? It's not your money, it's that person's money, however they got it (assuming it's legal).

It's not somebody else's responsibility to pay for your education. If you want something, earn it. Show what you're worth, contribute to society, receive money in return for your products or services and buy your own university education.

And after you've been through all of that, worked hard and earned your money and bought your higher education, then you will understand the value of money. Contribute meaningfully to other people and earn your own money. If you do not contribute, don't expect someone else to give you what you want for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to quite a few what you could call left wing protests over the years. They've all been largely peaceful. When you do a few idiots looking to cause trouble, the press photographers are on them like flies. So, while the police may report a peaceful protest with a couple of arrests, the right wing rags will spoon feed the delicate folk of middle England images of violence and rioting.

And, for sale of balance, I've seen a couple far right protests pass off relatively peaceful only for the papers to report otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hektik)

"I want free education, and I want him to pay for it!"

What is it with people demanding "rich" people giving them their money? It's not your money, it's that person's money, however they got it (assuming it's legal).

It's not somebody else's responsibility to pay for your education. If you want something, earn it. Show what you're worth, contribute to society, receive money in return for your products or services and buy your own university education.

And after you've been through all of that, worked hard and earned your money and bought your higher education, then you will understand the value of money. Contribute meaningfully to other people and earn your own money. If you do not contribute, don't expect someone else to give you what you want for nothing.
    Ah, someone of principle. I assume you either worked before attending university and paid everything up front or took out commercial loans to fund your studies rather than relying on a loan system that gives the tax payer a bad deal. I assume you also paid the commercial (i.e. International) rates rather pay an artificially depressed price.

ReputationRep:
    There are people who act like this on both sides of the spectrum, using these photos as a general argument against the left wing in the UK is ignorant of this fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Ah, someone of principle. I assume you either worked before attending university and paid everything up front or took out commercial loans to fund your studies rather than relying on a loan system that gives the tax payer a bad deal. I assume you also paid the commercial (i.e. International) rates rather pay an artificially depressed price.
    I did none of those things, and thank God that we have the loan system we have or I could never have gone to university. Personally, I'm grateful for the fact we have the system we have, where the loans are fairly easy to get and I can have a university education, paying the money back later. But it's a great privelige, not a right, that I've gotten these things. If it were the case that you have to find the money to pay for further education, that would be that. Why should somebody else be made to pay for my education with their own money? It's not my money, and I'm not going to expect somebody to give me their money (paying for my further education) for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I did none of those things, and thank God that we have the loan system we have or I could never have gone to university. Personally, I'm grateful for the fact we have the system we have, where the loans are fairly easy to get and I can have a university education, paying the money back later. But it's a great privelige, not a right, that I've gotten these things. If it were the case that you have to find the money to pay for further education, that would be that. Why should somebody else be made to pay for my education with their own money? It's not my money, and I'm not going to expect somebody to give me their money (paying for my further education) for nothing.
    I think you completely missed their point.

If your're going to complain about others taking money that isn't theirs, don't do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I think you completely missed their point.

If your're going to complain about others taking money that isn't theirs, don't do it yourself.
    I'm borrowing money, so I have to pay it back in the future. I'm saying that you shouldn't expect the tax payer or the rich to fund your education for free.

ReputationRep:
    Ha! Meanwhile on the right we have some charming people

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the Tories don't protest because they're unable to remove that stick up their asses in order to walk through London. All the protests I've been to, starting from when I was just 14, have been peaceful. It is only when the Black Bloc (they can't even be classes as anarchists because they just like causing trouble and inciting violence, they don't believe in anything, at least real anarchists believe in overthrowing democracy these guys just like punching people and throwing flares) turn up do the cameras suddenly turn on and the peaceful, boring protest turns into a "violent left-wing protest". We have the right to protest, to strike, and by god we are going to exercise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    who need to learn manners before campaigning for something; their voices will be louder that way.
    I lol'd so hard, that was genuinely hilarious. This history of radical change coming by smiling nicely and politely asking for what you want is a pretty small one.

ReputationRep:
    The general jist of these types of thread:
    1) OP makes their point, gets a few reps.
    2) Gets a few replies, both agreeing and disagreeing with OP's viewpoint.
    3) One reply, opposing OP's viewpoint outreps the OP.
    4) Debate thickens but still clear that opposing viewpoint is the winner.
    5) /thread.

ReputationRep:
    It's not your money, it's that person's money, however they got it (assuming it's legal).
    And when they're taxed, that money ceases to be theirs, and if they still hold on to it, it is not legal.

By the way, why do you assume legality is automatically the arbiter of morality?

It's not somebody else's responsibility to pay for your education. If you want something, earn it.
    So do you want 4-year olds to earn to pay for their education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    And when they're taxed, that money ceases to be theirs, and if they still hold on to it, it is not legal.

By the way, why do you assume legality is automatically the arbiter of morality?

So do you want 4-year olds to earn to pay for their education?
    I believe taxing people who earn more money at a higher rate is much more preferable to a flat rate considering how unfair it is to those who earn little money, but taxing the rich more and more would do more harm than good. They may perhaps leave the country, for example, and as lots of them are job creaters, that's not good.

Would you not agree that money legality is an approximate measure of morality?

No, not for 4 year olds. For adults (18+) pursuing further education.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know how anybody in the UK can identify themselves as right wing or left wing. Both sides are so deeply flawed. Its little wonder there is not one political party I could support

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.