Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Xenia (cry cry cry)! If anyone wants to know about what it's like as a newbie at Imperial feel free to ask! I'm on the 4 year course (year in industry) for Bio.

ReputationRep:
    How would describe the workload at Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What's living in London like (if you weren't living there before uni?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heisenberg___)
    How would describe the workload at Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The work load isn't too bad!
    It can feel a bit much sometimes but c'est la vie
    I also do Imperial Horizons so I'm learning Japanese on the side which is kinda difficult (a lot of words to learn ... )
    I've managed to fit in art society on mondays (6:30-8:3) and anime&manga society on wednesdays (1:30 and I leave at 4:30)
    We've got one essay(1500 words) to hand in on Thursday- our biochem module has been quite difficult because we're expected to read through the lectures before hand and then the actual lecture slot we just get questioned on what we read off the lectures :/ so you end up having to do twice the work for the lecture in a way ...
    I stay in Imperial til 8pm, then it's at least a half hour journey home so get back by 8:30, make tea and get to bed for 11pm for a 7am start- gets all the work done so far, my notes are a bit behind though but that's my fault for not working out a strategy for lectures fast enough(although a bit pricey printing slides off/ using your laptop is the most efficient)
    The first set of lectures was hellish though tbh- purely on the amount of terminology you have to learn... still slogging through that ... :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What's living in London like (if you weren't living there before uni?)
    New to London yeah It's grimy!
    and very expensive.
    I can't see myself living close to London after I finish my degree... The events have been great but it takes a while to get back to Waterloo(30 minutes in the evening, 40/45 n the morning because you have to miss trains because theres no space) so I never stay late to anything(unlike Southside/Eastside/Beit people). I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to thinking about trying to get back after the tubes stop :'S The buses are pretty crazy ...
    My nose has gone black inside from the amount of pollution :/ It's sweaty and hot everywhere (as someone who usually wears 3 layers, I've been wearing one my entire time. The tube is absolutely disgusting n the morning, never thought 'd smell this many armpits in my life. The Jubilee line is death, you have to miss trans because it gets so full, and when the circle/district is late to westminster be prepared to not even be able to breathe ._. everyone crams on because they dont want to wait another 7 mins :s
    Apart from Saturdays I've not had any time to enjoy the rest of London so I can't say much other than about the journey there and stuff :')
    Also in Xenia there aren't any supermarkets near by that have regularly priced food, the close ones are Sainsburys Local, Tesco Extra and M&S Simply so the near by supermarkets have a 30% increase in price I heard. I end up walking to the Sainsburys by Imperial itself (15 min walk from Imperial), has a lot of choice and stuff but its a pain! At least in North Acton they have an ASDA
    At least the food market on the weekend by Southbank is nice :P
    And not too far from the zoo ..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by bubblewubbles)
    x
    Gee whizz, that sounds pretty horrible. Hopefully you get better accommodation from next year, and maybe most of those problems will go away.

Thanks for the insight! :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Gee whizz, that sounds pretty horrible. Hopefully you get better accommodation from next year, and maybe most of those problems will go away.

Thanks for the insight! :grouphugs:
    no probs! It's unfortunate most of the top universities are in London cos as a city it's not exactly the greatest (money wise if nothing else) to be a student :'/
    I guess if you liked partying it's also good .. but I prefer my societies over partying :P
    Imperial itself is great though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblewubbles)
    no probs! It's unfortunate most of the top universities are in London cos as a city it's not exactly the greatest (money wise if nothing else) to be a student :'/
    I guess if you liked partying it's also good .. but I prefer my societies over partying :P
    Imperial itself is great though!
    It sounds as if you would chose Woodward over Xenia anyday hahaa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heisenberg___)
    It sounds as if you would chose Woodward over Xenia anyday hahaa!
    Pretty much haha :')

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.