Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An embankment 7.5 m high has a side slope of 1 :3 on one side and 1 : 7 on the other. How much wider is the bottom of the embankment than its top?

Surely this would depend on the length of the top of the embankment? for instance if the top was 1m then it would be 75 times wider hower if it was 10m then it would only 7.5 times wider? any help would be great
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Danjones1uk)
    An embankment 7.5 m high has a side slope of 1 :3 on one side and 1 : 7 on the other. How much wider is the bottom of the embankment than its top?

Surely this would depend on the length of the top of the embankment? for instance if the top was 1m then it would be 75 times wider hower if it was 10m then it would only 7.5 times wider? any help would be great
    I think they're looking for how many metres wider is it, rather than how many times. The former question can be answered, but not the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ghostwalker, I initially thought the same. But how can I know this if I don't know wide the top is?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks Ghostwalker, I initially thought the same. But how can I know this if I don't know wide the top is?
    The width of the top doesn't come into it, since they're asking how much wider is the bottom than the top, i.e. what's the width of the sloping bits.

That's A+B in the diagram.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Ah gotcha, I think....

Would it be something along the lines of

A = 3 x 7.5 = 22.5
    B = 7 x 7.5 = 52.5

Answer A+B = 75m ?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Ah gotcha, I think....

Would it be something along the lines of

A = 3 x 7.5 = 22.5
    B = 7 x 7.5 = 52.5

Answer A+B = 75m ?
    That would be my thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much Ghostwalker. All makes sense now.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.