Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

B877 - Legal Tender Bill 2015 (Second Reading) watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B877 - Legal Tender Bill 2015 (Second Reading), The Rt. Hon. Aph MP
    Legal Tender Bill 2015

A Bill to give local currencies legal tender rights within the UK.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions
    Legal tender is defined as payment in a manner which is determined to sufficiently clear a debt and cannot be refused as payment of a debt assuming that its value is enough to cover said debt.

Local currency is defined as a currency printed by a regional authority for use in that authority (e.g the Bristol pound)

2: Tender Regulations
    1) Monetary notes of value £5 and over in pound sterling is now legal tender across the whole of the United Kingdom.
    1.1) This includes money printed in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, the Falklands, Gibraltar and St Helena.
    1.2) local currency on the city level is not considered legal tender except in the city is it printed

3: Short title, extent and enactment
    1) This bill may be cited as the 'Legal Tender Bill 2015';
    2) Will extend to the whole of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and;
    3) Will come into effect April 1st 2016

NotesBristol pound
    Totnes pound
    Stroud pound
    Lewes pound
    The above are examples of local currency which would not be legal tender across the UK.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I listened to feedback and feel like I have reduced the bill down to a much better form which will have wide support. Why we have different forms of the same currency that don't have to be accepted in different areas I don't know.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Changes for the second reading? I

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm hoping local currency isn't going to be legal tender anywhere as it's basically just a voucher system.

ReputationRep:
    Aph, it would be an aye as you have managed to change this bill beyond recognition into something which I don't particularly oppose, but your beloved EU prevents this, as it states in the Treaty of Lisbon that the only banknotes which can be legal tender in the EU are banknotes printed by either the ECB or national banks of EU member states.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aph, it would be an aye as you have managed to change this bill beyond recognition into something which I don't particularly oppose, but your beloved EU prevents this, as it states in the Treaty of Lisbon that the only banknotes which can be legal tender in the EU are banknotes printed by either the ECB or national banks of EU member states.
    Hear Hear!

But it's still a Nay
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I would remind the right honourable member that TSR law supersedes EU law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Link to the act that says that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    In much the same way that Acts of Parliament supersede EU law but blatantly contravening EU law would still cause a constitutional crisis?

TSR constitutional court now IMO

ReputationRep:
    The Bristol Pound was another ill-thought out scheme by Ferguson. Parochial nonsense which most Bristolians take no account of. Nay to giving these local currencies any kind of legitimacy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I like the complete re-write, but I'm unsure what this is meant to achieve. Whilst not legal tender, scottish notes for example are still legal currency and thus can still be used in a transaction. Legal tender has a strict definition which refers to the payment of debts (i.e. if a court orders you to pay someone, the recipient cannot refuse them and then argue non-payment).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Link to the act that says that?
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    In much the same way that Acts of Parliament supersede EU law but blatantly contravening EU law would still cause a constitutional crisis?

TSR constitutional court now IMO
    It's in the constitution (or GD?) that we can ignore all EU and RL laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I suspect we can overrule them but 'ignore' is too strong a way of putting it. At the very least, I would think that it should be made explicit in the Bill that this is an intended derogation from the UK's obligations under the Treaties.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Then what was the point in the EU referendum if it doesn't matter at all either way?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The Financier)
    I like the complete re-write, but I'm unsure what this is meant to achieve. Whilst not legal tender, scottish notes for example are still legal currency and thus can still be used in a transaction. Legal tender has a strict definition which refers to the payment of debts (i.e. if a court orders you to pay someone, the recipient cannot refuse them and then argue non-payment).
    Well if I live in Scotland and only have Scottish notes a person has the right to refuse the notes and make me exchange them for English ones which is stupid. Also the Gibraltar and Falkland pounds although pegged with GBP aren't recognised in the uk when they are the same currency. It's stupid.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Then what was the point in the EU referendum if it doesn't matter at all either way?
    Essentially there wasn't any point. But everyone wanted one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wow, what a waste of time that was.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Still waiting on you saying what the changes for the second reading are; will almost certainly be a nay regardless, but it allows better [constructive] criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It's in the GD, so fair enough. It's an aye then

ReputationRep:
    What is this farcical idea. Even if it was legal, it's still pointless and ultimately I find whoever tries to bring about these local currencies to be petty, with nothing better to do except punch above their weight. Only the Bank of England should print currency, but I don't mind Scotland and NI printing their own as it is much more reasonable for them to do so.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.