The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into LSE?

Hello, Accountancy and finance at LSE requires AAA minimum. A-level Maths is not required but GCSE maths is which I have. My grades are;

GCSE's: 4 A's 4 B's 2 C's
A-Level's: economics A*, politics A*, history B (these are acquired grades not predictions)

I get that there are people with better a levels and my GCSE's are poor but does anyone based on experience think I will have any chance. It might help to say I have started my own small PC repair business which i figured would look decent on a business related subject personal statement.
Original post by Perplexing Pleb
Hello, Accountancy and finance at LSE requires AAA minimum. A-level Maths is not required but GCSE maths is which I have. My grades are;

A-Level's: economics A*, politics A*, history B (these are acquired grades not predictions)

I get that there are people with better a levels and my GCSE's are poor but does anyone based on experience think I will have any chance. It might help to say I have started my own small PC repair business which i figured would look decent on a business related subject personal statement.

extra curricular??
Just got rejected from LSE for not having the predicted grades that matched the entry requirements; take what you will of that...
Thanks for the responses.

Original post by Willnewman234
extra curricular??

I have volunteered as a bookkeeper at my childhood nursery and I also tutor A level students in my spare time. Although this isnt extra curricular I also have two year awards from my school.

Original post by FleuryHammer
Just got rejected from LSE for not having the predicted grades that matched the entry requirements; take what you will of that...

Would you be able to tell me the course name and your predicted grades please.
Original post by Willnewman234
extra curricular??

In general, irrelevant extra-curricular activities aren't really valued by LSE, and probably won't make a difference either way to OP getting a place.

Only LSE will be able to tell you if they view A*A*B as equivalent to AAA in this case. The best thing to do would be to email them, as they will let you know whether it's worth you applying or not.

Even if people have gotten in with similar achieved grades in previous years (or been rejected), things could differ a lot this year, depending on the quality of applicants who apply.

LSE do seem to place a lot of emphasis on the PS as well- I suggest you check out their advice on this on their website, as even if your grades are good enough, if your PS isn't good enough you might still be rejected.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
In general, irrelevant extra-curricular activities aren't really valued by LSE, and probably won't make a difference either way to OP getting a place.

Only LSE will be able to tell you if they view A*A*B as equivalent to AAA in this case. The best thing to do would be to email them, as they will let you know whether it's worth you applying or not.

Even if people have gotten in with similar achieved grades in previous years (or been rejected), things could differ a lot this year, depending on the quality of applicants who apply.

LSE do seem to place a lot of emphasis on the PS as well- I suggest you check out their advice on this on their website, as even if your grades are good enough, if your PS isn't good enough you might still be rejected.

Thanks for your reply.

I sent them an email regarding that i would rather get it in the writing than over the phone.

Well I put a lot of effort into my PS and the one I wrote last year was deemed excellent and shown as an example to the year below. But I am going to make sure as many people as possible can give it a read including someone who applied for that course years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

I sent them an email regarding that i would rather get it in the writing than over the phone.

Well I put a lot of effort into my PS and the one I wrote last year was deemed excellent and shown as an example to the year below. But I am going to make sure as many people as possible can give it a read including someone who applied for that course years ago.

If your PS from last year was shown to the year below, you'll need to make sure this one is completely different- otherwise if any of them copied sections, you could be flagged for plagiarism. Make sure your PS fits what LSE wants, though- they give specific advice to applicants on their website, which may differ from the general advice.

Realistically, they won't say anything firm, so having it in writing probably won't matter either way- but as I said, they are the only ones that can really tell you if your grades are ok or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending