Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

at the moment i'm on the pill and have been for about the last two years but now i'm thinking i might get the implant instead because it's a lot less hassle

i've read that lots of women's periods stop completely when they get the implant, and although it would be nice, i think it would just unsettle me. with the pill, even though i never forget to take it and my boyfriend and i use condoms, i still rely on my period to tell me i'm not pregnant each month so if i didn't have periods it'd make me really anxious about it

i'm stuck between not having the hassle of taking a pill everyday and not having that monthly reassurance that i'm not pregnant and i don't know what to do
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Look at the reliability stats for the implant: it is staggeringly reliable. Only about one in 2,000 women using it becomes pregnant in any year - about six times better than perfect use of the combined pill and about twenty times better than perfect use of a progesterone-only pill. It's even better than sterilisation!

If using condoms as well is not good enough for you, consider testing every six weeks or so. With a supermarket own-brand tests, that's about a tenner a year.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Look at the reliability stats for the implant: it is staggeringly reliable. Only about one in 2,000 women using it becomes pregnant in any year - about six times better than perfect use of the combined pill and about twenty times better than perfect use of a progesterone-only pill. It's even better than sterilisation!

If using condoms as well is not good enough for you, consider testing every six weeks or so. With a supermarket own-brand tests, that's about a tenner a year.
    thank you that's very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    It is much more reliable than the pill, and ten times more reliable than being sterilised! I don't think you would even need to worry about pregnancy even if your periods did stop (which they may not btw).

I urge you to give it a go, I found it liberating to not worry about taking pills and having the certainty of not getting pregnant for 3 years. If you don't like it, you can always go back to pills.

I'm on the implant and it worked much better for me than pills, been on it for a year and absolutely no pregnancy scares whatsoever (no condoms as well) it did however take me a while adjusting to it as to periods which have now stopped apart from occasional bleeding ( after a year of being on the implant) it is the most reliable method of contraception you can have I think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.