Turn on thread page Beta

Lan Splitter? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Heyo

Is there such a thing as a Lan Splitter?

My router is in another room and wireless signal to my Desktop/PS4 is useless. I have ran a long ethernet cable to my Desktop. Was wondering if I could use a splitter or something so I can be on my Desktop and PS4, rather than using the ethernet cable for only one or the other.

Please advise

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jan Mohammed)
    Heyo

Is there such a thing as a Lan Splitter?

My router is in another room and wireless signal to my Desktop/PS4 is useless. I have ran a long ethernet cable to my Desktop. Was wondering if I could use a splitter or something so I can be on my Desktop and PS4, rather than using the ethernet cable for only one or the other.

Please advise

Thanks
    It took me approximately two seconds to google "Ethernet splitter".
    It probably took you ~ 2 minutes to write this post.
    That's 118 seconds of your life you'll never recover...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...qid=1446681070 if it's too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    It took me approximately two seconds to google "Ethernet splitter".
    It probably took you ~ 2 minutes to write this post.
    That's 118 seconds of your life you'll never recover...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...qid=1446681070 if it's too much effort.

Thanks

However I got confused because on posts they were stating that only one device can use ethernet at one time only. Not two.

Splitter and Switch is two different things ?! Didnt want to buy something that wont work or will have to return.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Look at mains networking. No need for a long ethernet cable, and some of them have built-in switches = you can plug two things into them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, even though the lan 'splitter' has two output ports, only one of them can be used at any one time. So it's pretty much an ethernet extender.

You probably need to setup a switch connected in the router room, then run the cables through to all the devices that need the wired connection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A splitter probably won't be much use as others have said, A network Switch will do what you want though. Something like the NETGEAR GS105UK on the amazon link above. You can probably find cheaper ones elsewhere, just look for the words Network/Ethernet Switch and Gigabit (I'd stay away from 10/100 ones as gigabit doesn't cost much more and gives you the option of faster speeds depending on what you're talking to)

You plug the cable coming from the router into one port, and then plug your other devices into the other ports.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.