Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking earlier after watching Andromeda (one of the enemies are the Neitzcheans) about something that was said and it inspired me to ask this question.

We know that large numbers of humans are motivated by self interest and we're moving to a point where genetic modification can create a superior species so the question becomes whether superior ability creates individuals with superior ambitions, ambitions to rule rather than just be happy ECT..

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to be King.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You're not going to be King.
    Ha. Best hope that I never hit $10bn.

I was asking for an aggregate view of the population though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Ha. Best hope that I never hit $10bn.
    You're not Littlefinger.

¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You're not Littlefinger.

¬.¬
    Don't need to be. At that level me and my partners would have the money to engage in weapons, space and genetic research. Build me a space ship.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I might be remembering this wrong, but I remember coming across a story of a boy with an IQ of around 170 who committed suicide during his mid teens. He showed no signs of depression or mental health issues, and he'd seemed fairly normal (other than his extreme intelligence). I think if you have a higher base 'ability' than most other people, high ambitions are definitely more attainable, but that doesn't mean they're more attractive than they would be to someone who would have to work harder to achieve them. There's also the case of how you define one person's ambitions as superior to another's, which is a hard thing to do.

It makes for good food for thought. Have you found any relevant studies done? I'd be interested in seeing any that you come across, if you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I was thinking earlier after watching Andromeda (one of the enemies are the Neitzcheans) about something that was said and it inspired me to ask this question.

We know that large numbers of humans are motivated by self interest and we're moving to a point where genetic modification can create a superior species so the question becomes whether superior ability creates individuals with superior ambitions, ambitions to rule rather than just be happy ECT..
    If you've read any Nietzsche you would know a desire to rule others is anything but the mark of a superior being. A superior being does not need the validation of others, especially not beings inferior to itself.

I do think superior intelligence can lead to superior ambition. The best example is probably Nietzsche himself. He was a man of incredible intelligence, and the theme that underlies his Ubermensh ideal is one based on the intellectual and moral evolution of mankind. I think that in itself is an example of superior ambition.

ReputationRep:
    I would guess that ambition it routed in sources other than intelligence. That being said, I imagine superior intelligence would benefit one's ego, therefore giving them the confidence to fight for more

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.