Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Protest, Your thoughts watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today Protests in central London took place in light of the government wanting to take away more money from already broke students, I want to hear you opinions, feels and such

My opinion is that, I’m not sure about you guys, but I’m pretty angry that the government want to not only take away the grant that POORER students get BUT they ALSO want to target the support for disabled students. It’s becoming veeerryy clear now that the tories want the poor to stay poor and the rich to be richer.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/616...tan-Police-DLR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuffinzMed)
    Today Protests in central London took place in light of the government wanting to take away more money from already broke students, I want to hear you opinions, feels and such

My opinion is that, I’m not sure about you guys, but I’m pretty angry that the government want to not only take away the grant that POORER students get BUT they ALSO want to target the support for disabled students. It’s becoming veeerryy clear now that the tories want the poor to stay poor and the rich to be richer.

I think you're like the protesters. Very ill informed.

ReputationRep:

Cry me a river. I'm pretty angry that self-entitled students keep *****ing about what amounts to a graduate tax that they only have to pay later on when they can easily afford it. University continues to remain free at the point of entry. You also all can't be that broke judging by the demographics of my town centre's nightclubs and bars.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see why one adult should be entitled to a grant when another adult isn't, based purely upon their parent's income who they no longer live with.

Removing grants was the fairest thing to do.

As for making university free for everyone; I wonder how many police stations, schools and hospitals these protesters would like to see close in order to fund something which they ultimately choose to do themselves and primarily for their own benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    As for making university free for everyone; I wonder how many police stations, schools and hospitals these protesters would like to see close in order to fund something which they ultimately choose to do themselves and primarily for their own benefit.
    Completely agree. While there are arguments for support for certain degrees (specifically those leading to jobs in high demand), providing free university education for all is just plain ridiculous.

I think there are certainly ways that our university system could save money. It is overblown and inefficient.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Nick Clegg said it best. Ooops. I mean he sang it best.

ReputationRep:
    take away more money from already broke students
    This just shows how ill-informed you are, the amount you can get from student loans is going up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I think you're like the protesters. Very ill informed.
    I want to post a burn meme...

ReputationRep:
    Ok a couple of things here the money is going up but now it's added to your loan.

Since fees came in university intake has risen so it isn't harming the poor and disabled chances.

However

It is right that maintenance loans and grants are loans paid back in the way it is set up at the moment. What isn't fair is that we pay tuition fees they have only been around for ten years only half of them are paid back and on average graduates earn more and therefore earn more tax for the government.

It used to be seen as fair dos taking that stand on fees and now it's seen as a way of saving money it doesn't make much financial sense and it is a tax on ambition/social mobility

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The maintenance grant was more or less equivalent to a US Pell grant in terms of the age/income requirements, and now all the aid the government offers is a loan?

How exactly does a country go from providing free education to that? The "generous" loan repayment terms that only make you pay a percentage of income are almost the same terms as a Stafford loan.

I think the only thing you might have as an advantage, and I'm not sure on this, is that there's some degree of control on tuition rates for certain schools.

Of all the issues to regress on, why would they pick education? The number of jobs that can be done without a degree is decreasing in most modern countries. Well, I always used Northern Europe in presentations at school as an example to push for more education funding, but apparently the UK is definitely not Sweden on this issue.

That said, I really don't think the protesters throwing smoke bombs was appropriate... the police weren't the ones that cut the funding, they're just doing their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Students and riots! Who would have thought of such a thing?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    I'm pretty angry that self-entitled students keep *****ing about what amounts to a graduate tax
    It isn't a graduate tax. That would suggest that everyone has to pay it. In reality, if you are rich and can afford to pay upfront, you don't have any interest to pay. In other words, the richer you are, the less you pay for your education.

The only winners are those who never earn more than the lower threshold but that is hardly a progressive policy - incentivising graduates not to earn more money. However, if you are aspiring and earn good money, you will pay vastly more money for your education that someone who could pay up front. How is that fair?

I think it is wonderful students are becoming politically active. The balance of power in this country lies with the over 50's. It is time for a bit of balance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Students and riots! Who would have thought of such a thing?!
    I doubt they're riots, they're probably just entitled middle-class KCL and UCL students called Fiona or Tarquin or Arabella who read Politics or PPE and decided to waste their days standing outside in their glamorous outfits and billboards which spout half-cocked 2-bit philosophies, before going back to their homes and moaning on facebook or the Guardian about how the government kettled them, and about how we are living in a dictatorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It isn't a graduate tax. That would suggest that everyone has to pay it. In reality, if you are rich and can afford to pay upfront, you don't have any interest to pay. In other words, the richer you are, the less you pay for your education.

The only winners are those who never earn more than the lower threshold but that is hardly a progressive policy - incentivising graduates not to earn more money. However, if you are aspiring and earn good money, you will pay vastly more money for your education that someone who could pay up front. How is that fair?

I think it is wonderful students are becoming politically active. The balance of power in this country lies with the over 50's. It is time for a bit of balance.
    No it doesn't. Everyone in this country doesn't pays all taxes that exist. The graduate taxes proposed by the NUS and considered by the Browne review were for a tax levied on graduates for a certain period of time after they graduate. Which is essentially the situation we have now. But since it's a called a tax the lefties loved it, while loans are deplorable exploitation!

The repayments are on anything over £21k. You still keep £21k, plus 91% of everything above that as your normal pre-tax salary. It's no more regressive than our banded income tax brackets. That is to say not regressive in the slightest. It's not a penalty specifically on high earners, it is relief for low earners.
    9% over a reasonable salary is extremely fair. Anyone put off by that prospect to such an extent they refuse to earn more than £21k frankly is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    The repayments are on anything over £21k. You still keep £21k, plus 91% of everything above that as your normal pre-tax salary. It's no more regressive than our banded income tax brackets. That is to say not regressive in the slightest. 9% over a reasonable salary is extremely fair. Anyone put off by that prospect to such an extent they refuse to earn more than £21k frankly is an idiot.
    Agreed. But if your parents were rich and could pay for your tuition up front, you keep all of your £21k. Where as if your parents were poor, you have an additional 9% tax levied on your pay. The rich pay less.

A graduate tax would apply to everyone who attended university regardless of parental income. This is surely fair no?

ReputationRep:
    now that the Festival season is over it is only natural that students should go on protests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I doubt they're riots, they're probably just entitled middle-class KCL and UCL students called Fiona or Tarquin or Arabella who read Politics or PPE and decided to waste their days standing outside in their glamorous outfits and billboards which spout half-cocked 2-bit philosophies, before going back to their homes and moaning on facebook or the Guardian about how the government kettled them, and about how we are living in a dictatorship.
    Meanwhile you;re the perfect caricature of the polar opposite of what your are describing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Really this protest is a bunch of students who are understandably irritated about paying a lot of money for an education. What they don't get is that under this government, they absolutely will not achieve anything by demonstrating to make higher education free. It'd be against the interest of the government's agenda to cut govt spending. I'm not saying that they don't have the right to demonstrate, they do in a democratic society.

They're not bringing in any realistic proposals to the table to replace the income lost from not having fees. You can't scream and shout at something that's been in place for a number of years and not say: here's my 10 other proposals and these work. :facepalm:

What students should be doing at the moment is creating foundations for change within their university. Many students fail to grasp that they're now consumers as they pay the full amount of their course and if it's inadequate then they have every right to complain and petition to improve their course and university.

The thing is - nobody forced them into Higher Education. They wanted to go forwards into it to make a better life for themselves in future. They read the terms and conditions and it said that it could change - anything in the country could change in an instant. I wonder what will happen when the NHS uni funding is removed and the fee caps can go up in line with inflation?

Many protests are blighted by anti government protestors, many of whom are the people that make the headlines and often add violence to demonstrations. (And opportunistic *******s)

A bit off topic, but just to get this off my chest: The NUS isn't fit for purpose and doesn't accurately represent students. I would very much support my SU leaving the NUS cult but they won't because the NUS subsidises the bar... (Ironic as you might wonder if some of the elected leaders of the NUS were pissed when making most of their decisions). :erm:

Also the people who are signing that petition about a vote of no confidence in the PM. No. You do that once every five years unless they've lost the support of the nation. :grumble:

My two cents and a rare post in D&CA from me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Agreed. But if your parents were rich and could pay for your tuition up front, you keep all of your £21k. Where as if your parents were poor, you have an additional 9% tax levied on your pay. The rich pay less.

A graduate tax would apply to everyone who attended university regardless of parental income. This is surely fair no?
    But since the rich guy or girl in this situation actually pays the whole amount, wouldn't they still be paying more than the rest who get most of it written off in the end? I only see a small number losing out, that being those who earn shed loads and actually pay off the full amount plus the minimal interest, at which point, well, they're pretty rich, so what's the issue?

ReputationRep:
    Students? They look like nasty thugs to me. Angry, shouting and violent. And those blue baseball caps make them look like right chav ********s.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.