Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Academic integrity/plagarism advice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Here's my own personal situation:

So recently I handed in a pre-lab that was word for word from my lab partner. This was because we were doing the same experiment in the same group, so I thought it would be ok if we had the same procedure. Of course I was dumb enough to not write it in my own words and so I was warned, and given a 0 on the assignment.

Earlier today I had worked on a pre-lab assignment with a friend (this time it was individual work but we were both stuck) and we agreed on similar methods and concepts for ideas about what to do. I did not copy word for word, I wrote the ideas in my own words but we do have the same concepts and we used the same formulas so I am afraid it may result in a 0 again. I did not know I got my other pre lab marked as 0 because of cheating until after I handed this pre-lab in. I only handed it in today so I will not know until the TA marks it later on.

I am very scared and I did not mean to come across as cheating or copying others works. I have learned my lesson but I am afraid that this will be considered plagiarism again. I really do not mean to do this with any ill intent. I do not condone cheating and I am terrified of the stories of punishment when it comes to cheating or plagiarism in university, so I would not do it myself.

Unfortunately I believe that I have no way out of this and may have to face the consequences again.

Does anyone have some advice when it comes to this situation? And tips to help me avoid this in the future? I know that I will work on pre-labs and stuff on my own from here on out.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to the TA, explain you aren't clear on the line between plagiarism and working with a partner, they'll explain it best and be glad you asked instead of getting it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpme330)
    Here's my own personal situation:

So recently I handed in a pre-lab that was word for word from my lab partner. This was because we were doing the same experiment in the same group, so I thought it would be ok if we had the same procedure. Of course I was dumb enough to not write it in my own words and so I was warned, and given a 0 on the assignment.

Earlier today I had worked on a pre-lab assignment with a friend (this time it was individual work but we were both stuck) and we agreed on similar methods and concepts for ideas about what to do. I did not copy word for word, I wrote the ideas in my own words but we do have the same concepts and we used the same formulas so I am afraid it may result in a 0 again. I did not know I got my other pre lab marked as 0 because of cheating until after I handed this pre-lab in. I only handed it in today so I will not know until the TA marks it later on.

I am very scared and I did not mean to come across as cheating or copying others works. I have learned my lesson but I am afraid that this will be considered plagiarism again. I really do not mean to do this with any ill intent. I do not condone cheating and I am terrified of the stories of punishment when it comes to cheating or plagiarism in university, so I would not do it myself.

Unfortunately I believe that I have no way out of this and may have to face the consequences again.

Does anyone have some advice when it comes to this situation? And tips to help me avoid this in the future? I know that I will work on pre-labs and stuff on my own from here on out.
    If you were working with someone else on the lab the formulas you used will be the same as will the concepts and methods I personally wouldn't worry too much but thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    they only really care about it if it is clear you have copied off someone else, so long as its in your own words it should be fine. everyone will be using the same of similar equations etc anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.