Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

sorry if this topic has been overly discussed, but I was unable to find any information about how Oxford makes their interview shortlist.

Specifically, I was wondering if having the highest school grades can help balance a low or below average aptitude test score? I have read that Oxford puts more emphasis on an applicant's aptitude test score when deciding to invite them to interview but I don't know if this is accurate. However. in the case of a low aptitude test score is there still a possibility to get invited to an interview if other factors are outstanding? (such as school grades, personal statement, written work).

Also, do you know of anyone who has managed to get accepted into Oxford despite having a low aptitude test score? I'm just curious, and I need to boost my confidence

Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Admittedly I studied a subject that does not have an aptitude test, so I'm not expert on this. But it is certainly true that admissions tests/aptitude tests are crucial in deciding who gets called to interview. The only instance I can think of in which a low/below average score would not affect you getting to interview, would be if you have (quite a few) contextual flags on your application.

Unfortunately almost everyone applying to Oxford has solid/outstanding school grades, so those become less important in differentiating between students. The point of the aptitude tests is to sort the wheat from the... chaff? I forget how the phrase goes

ReputationRep:
    Again, I'm doing a subject without an admissions test, but the impression I get is that people in general aren't very good at predicting how they've done in their admissions test –*they're designed to differentiate people with high grades already so they're bound to be hard! If you're used to getting ~90% in GCSE and AS exams, it's going to be a shock when you do an exam that can have an average of around 50% amongst a pool of people who are good at getting good grades.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.