Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Interviews are nearing soon. I've googled as much as I can for past interview questions etc but still not feeling very confident.

Anyone know of excellent resources (e.g. websites/forums besides this one/books etc) that will prepare me well for the interviews? Thanks in advance!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What's your subject? We can't help without knowing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niujinforever)
    Interviews are nearing soon. I've googled as much as I can for past interview questions etc but still not feeling very confident.

Anyone know of excellent resources (e.g. websites/forums besides this one/books etc) that will prepare me well for the interviews? Thanks in advance!
    Yeah I'm not sure what you are applying for either but just from my perspective orally explaining concepts is quite a key thing to prepare (this will be more important for some subjects than others) For example, because I did biochemistry, I practiced narrating concepts a lot for example, talking about 'Transcription", "Cloning", "Nucleophiles". As easy as it might seem, it's actually quite difficult to do a nice description orally because it's easy to say lots of 'Uhh's and stop in the middle to think of what to say next.

So yeah draw out a list of topics and randomly pick out a topic and try and talk about that 2 minutes straight out. The idea is not to say the most difficult thing about that topic but go through the basics in a logical and organised manner.

That one is sth that you can do on your own and about resources, there's so many websites that list past interview questions now days (there weren't so many when I was applying and I was so desperate to find some...) Google 'Oxford Medicine Interview', 'Cambridge Engineering Interview'. There are even videos of current students talking about their interview experiences and going through interview questions they were asked! (that includes myself haha...)

Familiarising yourself with some past interview questions is I think a must since most other applicants will do that too!

ReputationRep:
    walk in like you own the place

try to make general conversation about technical issues of the role and make it sounds like you know what your talking about

for example if your going for a job interview for a sales company, research and talk about sales technique and ask what they do in terms of sales techniques, and then give your own opinion as if you know all about it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by biolegend)
    Yeah I'm not sure what you are applying for either but just from my perspective orally explaining concepts is quite a key thing to prepare (this will be more important for some subjects than others) For example, because I did biochemistry, I practiced narrating concepts a lot for example, talking about 'Transcription", "Cloning", "Nucleophiles". As easy as it might seem, it's actually quite difficult to do a nice description orally because it's easy to say lots of 'Uhh's and stop in the middle to think of what to say next.

So yeah draw out a list of topics and randomly pick out a topic and try and talk about that 2 minutes straight out. The idea is not to say the most difficult thing about that topic but go through the basics in a logical and organised manner.
    This! The best two pieces of advice I can think of (and they're closely linked) are:
    • Practice speaking spontaneously about your subject. You need to be good at communicating your ideas clearly and logically, on the spot.
    • Read as much as you can about your subject. Interviews are not a test of knowledge but the more you understand about the subject, the more confident you will be with discussing it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow really nice tips here. I'm practising hard. Thanks for all the feedback! Btw I'm applying for Engineering. I heard from some friends I should get mock interview help and I saw people post about a website called Gurume. Anyone tried it before or know if it's good?

ReputationRep:
    Wow really nice tips here. I'm practising hard. Thanks for all the feedback! Btw I'm applying for Engineering.

Yea I'm trying to read as much as I can. I didn't think about the speaking spontaneously point though, but now that you mention it I think it's really important.

I heard from some friends I should get mock interview help and I saw people post about a website called Gurume. Anyone tried it before or know if it's good?

ReputationRep:
    Wow really nice tips here. I'm practising hard. Thanks for all the feedback! Btw I'm applying for Engineering.
    http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/

ReputationRep:

Yea I'm trying to read as much as I can. I didn't think about the speaking spontaneously point though, but now that you mention it I think it's really important.

I heard from some friends I should get mock interview help and I saw people post about a website called Gurume. Anyone tried it before or know if it's good?
    Ah right you are an Engineer! I guess you still need to be able to communicate clearly and logically~ I'm actually part of that Gurume Oxbridge community site as a current student helper haha. I've given out some mock interviews myself to those who don't have access to such mock interviews. Good initiative. But I consider it as an alternative to mock interviews offered at your school. So only for those whose schools don't offer such support I guess.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.