Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Just wondering if any tactile/visual learners like myself figured out a strategy for the LNAT? When reading, I really depend on underlining, circling, highlighting, and annotation to follow an argument, and the fact that the test is online presents a real challenge for me.

I could make notes, but I worry that there's no time for that.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I did the LNAT two weeks ago, not sure how it went, but I'm also a highlighter and underline kind of person and this is how I did it:
    -I read the passage in its entirety once
    - Looked at the first question they were asking.
    - I tried to locate the areas (or the quote) in the passage in which they were referring to. On the whiteboard, I would write down the question number and the paragraph (or even line) that the concept or quote the question was asking about
    for example:
    A) 2nd paragraph, first line
    B) 2nd paragraph, fourth line
    C) 3rd paragraph
    D) 4th paragraph, fifth line
    E) 4th paragraph, last line

- Once I've located it all, I would begin to read the sentences surrounding the statement, and if necessary, the whole passage again to get the feel of what the reader was trying to convey.
    - If I wanted to annotate something to do with one of the answers (like things that contradict or prevent this answer for being true, I just wrote the statement right next to the answer on the board
    for example:
    A) 2nd paragraph, first line-- but first sentence contradicts this? Can't be true
    B) 2nd paragraph, fourth line-- writer does not suggest or allude to this in any of their sentences
    C) 3rd paragraph- could be right
    D) 4th paragraph, fifth line-- could be right
    E) 4th paragraph, last line-- contradicted by third line

Something like that.

The biggest advice I could probably give you, and you can take this or not considering I don't have a crazy score to show for, is to just write everything you're thinking on the board. If you're anything like me, you will be half-calm and half-freaking out, thinking about what the answer is and being concious of time. Thoughts will come and go pretty darn fast. Just write down everything you're thinking regarding the questions, eliminate everything on the board. Afterall, you can always rub it off for the next question.

Hope this was helpful! Sorry if it's a bit long. Best of luck Assan!!

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate your answer; thank you. I've been trying different methods with the practice tests - full scale note taking under timed conditions being one of them - but I will try your strategy next and see how it goes.

You took the LNAT fairly early - applied to Oxbidge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assan)
    I really appreciate your answer; thank you. I've been trying different methods with the practice tests - full scale note taking under timed conditions being one of them - but I will try your strategy next and see how it goes.

You took the LNAT fairly early - applied to Oxbidge?
    No, just figured I'd get a test that I can't really study for yet feel really anxious about out of the way as soon as I could!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.