Turn on thread page Beta

Talking to random calssmates without being pushy. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so I'm new to uni in 2nd year, and i don't know anyone. most people seem to hang around their own group, like during lectures and before/after tests these people seem to stick to their groups. its hard to tell if their friends, or just acquaintances that end up talking everytime they meet.

while there are others that don't rly have a group but maybe 1-2 people that they sometimes sit with and talk.

right now I'm just trying to meet as many people as i can and hopefully make some friends. i went through the whole experience in 1st year without rly having any sort of friends/group because i wasn't in a major and only took 3 courses at once, and in each course it was a totally different set of ppl (different majors)

right now i see same the people in multiple courses, and I'm just trying to talk to as many people as i can (only way i can try to meet people is to talk to them), and its usually about school stuff (easy to talk about).its halfway through the semester, so its not like the first few weeks where everyone is meeting new people . a lot of the time people act very friendly and seem to enjoy talking, or their just being nice about a random person talking to them.

I'm a little worried that i might be intruding, which would make it very difficult to make friends.

so i got a few questions.

1:before/after exams, is it fine to talk to anyone that did the same exam as you? sometimes there's a group of people (assuming their all friends) would it be rude to just walk up and take part in their convo.

2: can you just sit next to anyone/group in lecture and ask how they did on an assignment/test/exam?

3: if you've talked to someone once before, and you see them alone during a class, with lots of open spots, would it be fine to just go and sit next to them?

any basically any advice on making friends in uni. the only thing i got right now is to talk to as many people as i can about class stuff, which leads to being comfortable with those people.eventually i can just sit next to them and talk about normal stuff (are you finished this assignment/project how was your weekend, seen this funny video, etc...) and maybe ask if they want to work on something together, or just go and have a coffee or something and relax.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by anon722)
    so I'm new to uni in 2nd year, and i don't know anyone. most people seem to hang around their own group, like during lectures and before/after tests these people seem to stick to their groups. its hard to tell if their friends, or just acquaintances that end up talking everytime they meet.

while there are others that don't rly have a group but maybe 1-2 people that they sometimes sit with and talk.

right now I'm just trying to meet as many people as i can and hopefully make some friends. i went through the whole experience in 1st year without rly having any sort of friends/group because i wasn't in a major and only took 3 courses at once, and in each course it was a totally different set of ppl (different majors)

right now i see same the people in multiple courses, and I'm just trying to talk to as many people as i can (only way i can try to meet people is to talk to them), and its usually about school stuff (easy to talk about).its halfway through the semester, so its not like the first few weeks where everyone is meeting new people . a lot of the time people act very friendly and seem to enjoy talking, or their just being nice about a random person talking to them.

I'm a little worried that i might be intruding, which would make it very difficult to make friends.

so i got a few questions.

1:before/after exams, is it fine to talk to anyone that did the same exam as you? sometimes there's a group of people (assuming their all friends) would it be rude to just walk up and take part in their convo.

2: can you just sit next to anyone/group in lecture and ask how they did on an assignment/test/exam?

3: if you've talked to someone once before, and you see them alone during a class, with lots of open spots, would it be fine to just go and sit next to them?

any basically any advice on making friends in uni. the only thing i got right now is to talk to as many people as i can about class stuff, which leads to being comfortable with those people.eventually i can just sit next to them and talk about normal stuff (are you finished this assignment/project how was your weekend, seen this funny video, etc...) and maybe ask if they want to work on something together, or just go and have a coffee or something and relax.
    I would say to all your questions that they're all appropriate things to do, just ask if a seat is taken next to someone and ask something generic about your work (That always works for me).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.