The Student Room Group

Camp America

Hey everyone! I get a lot of people asking me questions over Twitter about my time at camp - so I thought I'd start a thread so people could ask me as many questions as they want!

I've been 4 years now... and had experience working in a day and overnight camp, a Christian, YMCA and Underprivileged camp.

I went through the organisation Camp America and have nothing but praise for them! So if you have any questions about camp, travelling or Camp America, I should be able to help!

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I'm really interested in applying to Camp America but I am worried I have left it too late, have I? I also really want to be a creative and performing arts counsellor but I have heard the places for these go quicker, do you think I could have missed out on this?
Many thanks,
Shannon
Isn't it still a rip-off?

You can do camps in England/Europe for 6 weeks and get paid a fair amount of money and then go travelling for 3 months afterwards....

Instead of stumping up all that money beforehand and get paid naff all.

I usually pick up around £3k after a summers work; all be it as an English teacher, but you can do a qualification in TEFL these days online which are accepted by most summer camps in England. Activity leaders and house parents still walk away with £2k; no idea why would you would sell yourself short as a volunteer when you can get paid for doing the same job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shanjo4
Hi,
I'm really interested in applying to Camp America but I am worried I have left it too late, have I? I also really want to be a creative and performing arts counsellor but I have heard the places for these go quicker, do you think I could have missed out on this?
Many thanks,
Shannon

Hello! You absolutely haven't missed out on this - applications are open till April but in my opinion i'd apply ASAP because then you can get placed quicker! There are a lot of performing arts roles - and lots of camps hiring for these roles at recruitment fairs! You definitely haven't missed out on anything Go for it! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Original post by Broadhallian
Isn't it still a rip-off?

You can do camps in England/Europe for 6 weeks and get paid a fair amount of money and then go travelling for 3 months afterwards....

Instead of stumping up all that money beforehand and get paid naff all.

I usually pick up around £3k after a summers work; all be it as an English teacher, but you can do a qualification in TEFL these days online which are accepted by most summer camps in England. Activity leaders and house parents still walk away with £2k; no idea why would you would sell yourself short as a volunteer when you can get paid for doing the same job.

It depends what you're looking for! People apply to Camp America because they want to work with children but also in another country. It gives you the chance to explore and experience another culture, meet people across the world and kids from America! I worked at camps in the UK but I wanted the complete Summer Camp USA experience and that's what I got! Plus you also do get paid for your role as a camp counselor too.
Paid peanuts...

The last camp i worked on in England had people from the following countries; Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, France Belgium, Turkey, Taiwan, Japan, China, south Korea, Greece, saudi Arabia, UAE... I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of countries though.

You can also work in Germany for 500euros a week after 20 weeks it goes up to 700 euros with a payrise of 600euros in between... There are also summer camps in Spain, Romania, Italy, Turkey and Hungary that don't pay as much but more than camp America when you take out the expenses.

If I were to work in camps in USA then I wouldn't go through a middle man like camp America, I remember they wanted expensive administration fees, pressured sold me into booking a flight when I said it wasn't 100% confirmed that I could make it, they told me not to worry and when I finally booked the flight and then was confirmed I couldn't make it they tries with hold my money.. Thankfully I got it back after a load of e-mails and me sending proof of their responses to me...

Camp America to me do well on preying of students who are young and don't know their possibilities... If you really want to work in the USA then its an OKAY option... If you want to work in a summer camp then go somewhere else. The last 3 years I have travelled for 3/4 months after camp to; Mexico, Colombia and Brazil this year. I highly doubt you can do that in the USA unless you go with pre-saved money.
Original post by allaboutdrama
Hey everyone! I get a lot of people asking me questions over Twitter about my time at camp - so I thought I'd start a thread so people could ask me as many questions as they want!

I've been 4 years now... and had experience working in a day and overnight camp, a Christian, YMCA and Underprivileged camp.

I went through the organisation Camp America and have nothing but praise for them! So if you have any questions about camp, travelling or Camp America, I should be able to help!

Thanks!!

Not sure if I want to do Camp America or do Bunac Work America where I would have a regular job probably in hospitality. It pays more and I would have more free time but I think I would meet more people/make better friends with Camp America and might get lonely on the Work America programme
Original post by Username13
Not sure if I want to do Camp America or do Bunac Work America where I would have a regular job probably in hospitality. It pays more and I would have more free time but I think I would meet more people/make better friends with Camp America and might get lonely on the Work America programme

Replied to you in the other thread! :smile:
Paid peanuts...

The last camp i worked on in England had people from the following countries; Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, France Belgium, Turkey, Taiwan, Japan, China, south Korea, Greece, saudi Arabia, UAE... I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of countries though.

You can also work in Germany for 500euros a week after 20 weeks it goes up to 700 euros with a payrise of 600euros in between... There are also summer camps in Spain, Romania, Italy, Turkey and Hungary that don't pay as much but more than camp America when you take out the expenses.

If I were to work in camps in USA then I wouldn't go through a middle man like camp America, I remember they wanted expensive administration fees, pressured sold me into booking a flight when I said it wasn't 100% confirmed that I could make it, they told me not to worry and when I finally booked the flight and then was confirmed I couldn't make it they tries with hold my money.. Thankfully I got it back after a load of e-mails and me sending proof of their responses to me...

Camp America to me do well on preying of students who are young and don't know their possibilities... If you really want to work in the USA then its an OKAY option... If you want to work in a summer camp then go somewhere else. The last 3 years I have travelled for 3/4 months after camp to; Mexico, Colombia and Brazil this year. I highly doubt you can do that in the USA unless you go with pre-saved money.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience... USA is however the ultimate summer camp experience.. having such a huge history and beginning it's roots so long ago! What I love about Camp America is how upfront and honest they are.. there's no hidden costs, everything is neatly outlined on their website so you know where your money is going! But as I said, sorry you didn't have the best experience with them, I guess it's difficult if you sign up to the programme.. then aren't 100% sure you're committed to going through with it.
Sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience... USA is however the ultimate summer camp experience.. having such a huge history and beginning it's roots so long ago! What I love about Camp America is how upfront and honest they are.. there's no hidden costs, everything is neatly outlined on their website so you know where your money is going! But as I said, sorry you didn't have the best experience with them, I guess it's difficult if you sign up to the programme.. then aren't 100% sure you're committed to going through with it.

I think what is important to remember is that the Camp America experience isn't for people that are focused on the money.. in the info session they said this isn't the kind of job you do for the money - and it's completely true! I love the job so much I'd do it for free - getting paid is just an added bonus.
Hey people (I know i posted in the other thread too but i'm SO annoyed. Staff said it was illegal, Americamp said this was horrible, but still nothing is being done about it!)

Can i just warn you, please DON'T go to Kamp Kiwanis in NY!

I know it's in NY and very tempting but i worked there last year and it was absolute hell. The staff were verbally abused by the boss (a lot of us had breakdowns and hated every second of it), we worked from 5:30am - 2am the next morning, we were guilt tripped into working on our days off, and it's far away from any shops/attractions etc so there weren't a lot of options for going out on days off.

It was one of the worst summers of my life (and most of the staffs too, we were working illegal hours and no matter how hard we worked we got yelled out).

My friend had a great summer in another camp however, so it depends a lot on your camp.
Original post by snowystarks
Hey people (I know i posted in the other thread too but i'm SO annoyed. Staff said it was illegal, Americamp said this was horrible, but still nothing is being done about it!)

Can i just warn you, please DON'T go to Kamp Kiwanis in NY!

I know it's in NY and very tempting but i worked there last year and it was absolute hell. The staff were verbally abused by the boss (a lot of us had breakdowns and hated every second of it), we worked from 5:30am - 2am the next morning, we were guilt tripped into working on our days off, and it's far away from any shops/attractions etc so there weren't a lot of options for going out on days off.

It was one of the worst summers of my life (and most of the staffs too, we were working illegal hours and no matter how hard we worked we got yelled out).

My friend had a great summer in another camp however, so it depends a lot on your camp.

Hey!

So sorry to hear you had such a terrible time- did you go through Camp America and did you let them know about this issue, or was it Americamp you went through?
Hey!

So sorry to hear you had such a terrible time- did you go through Camp America and did you let them know about this issue, or was it Americamp you went through?

Thank you :smile: I went through Americamp. I told them about what we went through and they said that was awful and they would pass it along to CCUSA.
Nothing's happened. People are working illegally but unless several others email them too then they won't do anything about it. People are still going to the camp so they get money...
I think what is important to remember is that the Camp America experience isn't for people that are focused on the money.. in the info session they said this isn't the kind of job you do for the money - and it's completely true! I love the job so much I'd do it for free - getting paid is just an added bonus.

What I love about Camp America is how upfront and honest they are.. there's no hidden costs, everything is neatly outlined on their website so you know where your money is going!

But you don't get paid...

And you do the same job in Europe getting paid £3k...

You're also sounding like you're on commission for them....and not telling people all the facts about the programme.
But you don't get paid...

And you do the same job in Europe getting paid £3k...

You're also sounding like you're on commission for them....and not telling people all the facts about the programme.

You do get paid for the programme? You get pocket money based on your age and skills. I'm merely saying that Camp America isn't the type of programme you apply to if your main focus is the salary. The programme is also for people looking for the American experience.. I'm not on commission for them, but I am returning to Camp for a 5th year so am aware of all the facts of the programme!
So; Camp America takes your money and pushes you to purchase all the flights (expensive), VISA etc without any guarantee of a camp. I was in a lucky position being a kayak instructor that I was guaranteed but the forums were filled with people with no camp.

Pocket money sums it up what a rip off it was; it was around 800 Us dollars for under 21s when I applied; thats US dollars, so about £500 on todays conversion rate. Basically, you are using your own money to work for 2 months; then your own money to travel afterwards unless you wanna hitch hike around the states.

As for the camp experience, like I have repeatedly said; you can get this in; Germany, Spain, Italy, Turkey and England and Im sure many other places that actually pay you a decent wage.

If the selling point is the ability to travel afterwards; you are doing that again out of your own money and its only a limited time of one month in the states. You have already spent a lot on applying to Camp America (other camps are completely free to apply to!!!!) instead of earning £2-3k (£££ POUNDS) and can go travelling for 3months + depending on your country of choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey I'm doing Camp Leaders this year and I have a few questions

-How long does it take to get an interview? I've been 'Ready to Hire' for about a week and I still haven't been on review. How long did it take you to go on review/ get an interview/ actually get hired?

-There is a Camp Directors Fair in January. Has anyone one been to one of these/ are they worth going to? I won't know anyone else going so any tips would be great.

- Traveling after camp? At the moment it doesn't look like any of my friends will be going to America but I really want to travel. Will I meet people at camp to travel with? Would you recommend getting a flexi return ticket/ are these more expensive?

Sorry for all the questions.:smile:
Reply 17
Hi, Im going through my application with camp America and have been waiting for a reply from an interviewer to set up a date for over a week now :/ In the meantime I was thinking of going to the Manchester Recruitment Fair and I was wondering if you could possibly give me some advice.
Before I go to the fair do I already have had to had an interview by yourself and passed it. (In that case, The fair is on the 21st of Jan.. I don't think that gives me enough time to set one up... Especially as my interviewer isn't replying). Do I have to have paid my £69 Application Fee by this point and have registered with Online Disclosers.

Also what sort of stuff goes on at the fair, what do I need to bring etc.. I really don't know what goes on there :/

Sorry if I'm waffling I'm just trying to gage my best options for being placed, (and most specifically in an arts role which I know are competitive and I'm worried I'm running out of time).
Reply 18
Hey, so I’m thinking of doing camp America in two years time when I finish my A-Levels. I have a few questions, are the prices they give you in the website everything? Because it seems a little cheap? Are there a lot of eighteen year olds there? And do people ever go travelling America’s after?

Thanks!!

Is it too late to apply now?

Quick Reply

Latest