Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing my AS Levels. I moved schools to do sixth form because I thought a change would be nice. I also moved because I had recently done a summer program that made me feel confident and I wanted to make more friends.

However, I have two friends at the new school, and don't get me wrong they are nice, but I feel like I am not fitting in at all. The students there already had friendship groups, and the other newbies just slotted in to those groups, whereas I did not.

I feel like an outsider and that I do not belong in general, because all everyone talks about are parties, relationships and immature jokes. Yes this sounds like a normal teenager, but clearly that I am not because I don't want to drink, party every weekend or drop innuendo into every sentence.

I'm considering moving back to my old school to do sixth form, where I can do the same subjects plus have my friendship group where I do fit in. What I would be leaving behind would be those two friends really, who of course I would still see outside of school.

I just think the work is hard enough to cope with, and that feeling unhappy will not help this.

ReputationRep:
    since when r u meant to enjoy education. its just a means to an end.

ReputationRep:
    Just take your time. You will come over it.

ReputationRep:
    It takes time (well it did for me anyway.)

(Original post by gr8wizard10)
    since when r u meant to enjoy education. its just a means to an end.
    What a stupid comment; of course it's a means to an end, but it's best to make the most out of it. Feeling ****ty is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Hey buddy. I had this experience when I went to university. I felt so separate from the others, who seemed perfectly happy to form relationships exclusively based on banter. I was extremely depressed and lonely, and I ended up dropping out. Do NOT waste time being unhappy. You started when - beginning of September? Maybe give it until the end of term and then decide.

Hope it turns out OK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by positivealpaca)
    I am currently doing my AS Levels. I moved schools to do sixth form because I thought a change would be nice. I also moved because I had recently done a summer program that made me feel confident and I wanted to make more friends.

However, I have two friends at the new school, and don't get me wrong they are nice, but I feel like I am not fitting in at all. The students there already had friendship groups, and the other newbies just slotted in to those groups, whereas I did not.

I feel like an outsider and that I do not belong in general, because all everyone talks about are parties, relationships and immature jokes. Yes this sounds like a normal teenager, but clearly that I am not because I don't want to drink, party every weekend or drop innuendo into every sentence.

I will honestly say I'm scared I'm becoming depressed, or already am. However that is another matter, or is it?

I'm considering moving back to my old school to do sixth form, where I can do the same subjects plus have my friendship group where I do fit in. What I would be leaving behind would be those two friends really, who of course I would still see outside of school.

I just think the work is hard enough to cope with, and that feeling unhappy will not help this.
    This is what I went through. When I first began sixth form (last year). I never knew anyone and everyone had already formed their friendship group. I made friends with a group of girls from the same school so I felt like I didn't fit in. I am used to them now because I've been with them with a year, but I still feel a little bit left out when they talk about things that I am unaware off. Honestly, sixth form is only two years (If you pass both years) so just work hard and the time will fly by, I have a couple of months left and I honestly can't wait to leave... I'm just sucking it up for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donwinslow2011)
    Just take your time. You will come over it.
    I am considering what my next step is, thank you for your time taken to reply.

(Original post by HonorCH)
    Hey buddy. I had this experience when I went to university. I felt so separate from the others, who seemed perfectly happy to form relationships exclusively based on banter. I was extremely depressed and lonely, and I ended up dropping out. Do NOT waste time being unhappy. You started when - beginning of September? Maybe give it until the end of term and then decide.

Hope it turns out OK!
    It makes me feel better that you took the time to reply, so first of all thank you for that. I appreciate that you say I should wait a bit longer, however that has been my course of thought since the first week, "oh I'll just see how next week goes" and it hasn't really got any better. However I recognize that you have experience in the field, (unfortunately though, I hope things have got better for yourself) and I agree that being unhappy is something I'll look back on and think "why didn't I do something about that?". If I move and the result is positive, I thank you for the advice you gave.

(Original post by loveleest)
    This is what I went through. When I first began sixth form (last year). I never knew anyone and everyone had already formed their friendship group. I made friends with a group of girls from the same school so I felt like I didn't fit in. I am used to them now because I've been with them with a year, but I still feel a little bit left out when they talk about things that I am unaware off. Honestly, sixth form is only two years (If you pass both years) so just work hard and the time will fly by, I have a couple of months left and I honestly can't wait to leave... I'm just sucking it up for now.
    I feel a little better knowing I am not the only one to go through this. I appreciate that a lot of people including yourself say it's only two years and it goes very quickly, however I am not one to waste time being sad, I have been through a lot to know to do what makes you happy, and it really isn't this. Thank you for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out of uni was the best decision and I should have done it earlier - hell, I shouldn't have even gone in the first place. We're told how things will be with our lives - go to uni, make the best friends of your life - and we don't question that it may not be our path.

Life is too short to put up with being unhappy. And things worked out pretty frickin' great for me.

ReputationRep:
    I went through the same - or even worse - last year because I go to a boarding school. I'm usually quiet at school except when my best friends are around (which are not many). Most people at my school are basically what you have described - drinking, partying and offensive banter. Ironically (but not sadly, as I would be worried if I had become like that) I am used to the feeling of being left out now so it doesn't really bother me anymore. I'm pretty determined about what I want to get from this school (mainly academic achievements) and anything else is more or less irrelevant. I think the important thing is to figure out what you want from this sixth form, stick with it, and don't pay too much attention to stuff that has nothing to do with your goal. It is hard not to think about those things that bother you because you are in that environment but please be assured you aren't the only one. Just try to make the best of what your sixth form can offer, instead of worrying about social things too much - that's what I did, and now I can just chill with my offers from G5 uni and watch those who had said the meanest things about me struggling with their personal statement :rolleyes: God knows where they will end up:ahee:

Edit: I couldn't transfer to another school because of personal reasons, so what I could do at most is make the most of my current school and get on with it. But that's just me. If you still feel you can't put up with it at all by the end of the term then maybe consider the option of changing back to your old school - indeed you don't have to waste two years being sad, and some of the new people at my school did so last year.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.