Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was reading this article online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nary-tale.html). Would you have done the same thing? I think the best way of defending yourself is to use overwhelming force .. ie aim to kill. Even though the polcie advise not to stand up to muggers, I think it is best to either do a tactical retreat or defend yourself with your life as your gonna get stabbed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I heard thugs get lonely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I think the best way of defending yourself is to use overwhelming force .. ie aim to kill. Even though the polcie advise not to stand up to muggers, I think it is best to either do a tactical retreat or defend yourself with your life as your gonna get stabbed anyway.
    Life isn't a video game, you can't just "aim to kill" people who attack you with no repercussions. Not only because you're going to screw your life up if it's found you've used excessive force, but also because you're probably gonna end up being targeted for a revenge attack. If you're capable of killing someone, you're also capable of stopping the threat without killing them. That's why people who study martial arts learn to respond with the least force possible while training.

In the situation in the article, she was right to call the police. There was absolutely no point in trying to confront a gang of armed teenagers

ReputationRep:
    I not trained to kill at all, so I would try to retreat or if unable try to defend my life. As I'm in no way trained I have to use excessive force rather then risk using less force.

I know a disabled friend who cannot go out on her own otherwise she would be attacked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Life isn't a video game, you can't just "aim to kill" people who attack you with no repercussions. Not only because you're going to screw your life up if it's found you've used excessive force, but also because you're probably gonna end up being targeted for a revenge attack. If you're capable of killing someone, you're also capable of stopping the threat without killing them. That's why people who study martial arts learn to respond with the least force possible while training.

In the situation in the article, she was right to call the police. There was absolutely no point in trying to confront a gang of armed teenagers
    You said it yourself, life isn't a video game. In the same situation, if someone pulls a knife on you, you're not going to stand and think about the long term consequences of acting. Fight or flight. Run or defend. And nobody should be blamed for killing in self-defence in such a situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    You said it yourself, life isn't a video game. In the same situation, if someone pulls a knife on you, you're not going to stand and think about the long term consequences of acting. Fight or flight. Run or defend. And nobody should be blamed for killing in self-defence in such a situation.
    Of course, so long as it's reasonable. Punching an attacker in the face is reasonable, if they die, then that's tough luck for them. However, punching an attacker in the face, then repeatedly stamping on their head isn't reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Of course, so long as it's reasonable. Punching an attacker in the face is reasonable, if they die, then that's tough luck for them. However, punching an attacker in the face, then repeatedly stamping on their head isn't reasonable.
    Well, if you punch them in the head, they fall down but still have a grip on your ankle, I would then stamp on his head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    Well, if you punch them in the head, they fall down but still have a grip on your ankle, I would then stamp on his head.
    I'd stamp on his arm or wrist, try breaking it. Either way, he's still presenting a threat and so I'd still count it as reasonable. In reality though I doubt a mugger would continue try to grab your ankle after you downed him with a punch.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.