Turn on thread page Beta

Feel down because I don't go to an elite uni watch

Announcements

So last year I went to a very prestigious university but I hated my course so I dropped out and re-applied for another course in Extra. Obviously there wasn't much choice available so I went for Queen Mary as it's very good for my subject (English) and it's in the RG so I presumed it was a well regarded as any other RG.

I'm mostly happy with decision. I'm really enjoying the course itself, the uni has good resources and the teaching is actually a lot better than at my old uni. Still, I've had a few comments from people asking why I didn't apply to UCL/KCL with my grades and it knocks my confidence. For the past few days it's really been on my mind.

I feel a bit pathetic because I know 'prestige' shouldn't matter to me, nor should I care what people think of me but I can't help letting it get to me. I really wish I could just stop caring what people think of me but I don't really know how to. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So last year I went to a very prestigious university but I hated my course so I dropped out and re-applied for another course in Extra. Obviously there wasn't much choice available so I went for Queen Mary as it's very good for my subject (English) and it's in the RG so I presumed it was a well regarded as any other RG.

I'm mostly happy with decision. I'm really enjoying the course itself, the uni has good resources and the teaching is actually a lot better than at my old uni. Still, I've had a few comments from people asking why I didn't apply to UCL/KCL with my grades and it knocks my confidence. For the past few days it's really been on my mind.

I feel a bit pathetic because I know 'prestige' shouldn't matter to me, nor should I care what people think of me but I can't help letting it get to me. I really wish I could just stop caring what people think of me but I don't really know how to. Any advice?
    Where you go doesn't make the person, and you get out what you put in, as with everything. For many courses now due to governing boards and external marking, and to make sure there are good prospects for students post graduation - degrees are very homogeneous, though more for some courses than others.
    It's only a degree too as well... can always do a masters at a different uni if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to a prestigious university, I have friends who do and they currently hate it I have one in particular who goes to Oxford and is so unhappy with her choice she plans to drop out before the year ends. From what I can see they only seem to care about the title they have however other universities care about the level of education they're providing. Don't feel bad, you are getting a degree in already a hard topic! University is mostly self education anyway, they could be idiots who can barely wipe their own arse and you'll do better than them if you know what you're doing. Don't let anyone question your life choices, you shouldn't have to consult anyone when it comes to you, they aren't the ones living it.

ReputationRep:

I would stop worrying if I were you. It's the department not the university: I went to Barts - the medical school of Queen Mary which by common consent is one of the best schools in the country for both teaching and research and very popular with applicants. I feel proud to be associated with the medical school.

Insofar as I can tell, the English Department is very strong as well and highly rated so perhaps in the end you'll feel the same.

Remember that Sir Paul Nurse's applications were rejected by the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, so he attended the University of Birmingham - now he's PRS and a Nobel Prize winner

ReputationRep:

Personally, I wouldn't care what people say, it's your choice. I'm not trying to brag or anything but I got 3 A*s at A level and originally I was studying Maths and Comp Sci at Bristol, which I just didn't get on with, but now I study Social Work at Kingston where you only need 260 points to get in. Does it matter? Nope. I got comments asking why I wasn't studying at a RG uni or Oxbridge, but I really enjoy the subject and it will get me where I want to be. Plus it's bloody difficult in its own way. Be happy with your choices, and if you're happy, don't let others make you think different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    These so-called 'prestigious' unis are more often than not very overrated, tbh. As I'm sure you know deep down if you attended one but dropped out. It's pointless being at a 'prestigious' uni if you don't get a good overall degree classification, or if you are miserable, or if your health goes down the toilet as a result. As has been alluded to above, there are SO many horror stories associated with top unis :sadnod:

So don't be down on yourself - in any case, QMUL is a good uni, so you're worrying over nothing

ReputationRep:
    QMUL seems good in my opinion.

I got A*AA and I would be a mature student now, but I might apply there

You seem too hung up on prestige but TBH it is actually pretty decent its not like you go to Brunel or something :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    You should try meditation, or yoga, or some other form of mindfulness to help you detach from your ego. Obviously this means a lot to you, so I'm not trying to just disregard it, but it will help you to realise that in the grand scheme of things you are happy with every decision you have made in your life, because those decisions are what makes you who you are. If we are anything at all as humans we are the sum of our experiences and decisions and they are what makes us an individual.

They say everything happens for a reason

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.