Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As someone applying to do Physics at a particular college, I was wondering who would be involved in judging my application? The Physics department or a college team? What I'm wondering basically is if certain colleges are more difficult to get into than other, or do departments accept/reject people themselves and after than it's just a matter of assigning you to a college?

ReputationRep:
    tvItI
    (Original post by Frannoooooooo)
    As someone applying to do Physics at a particular college, I was wondering who would be involved in judging my application? The Physics department or a college team? What I'm wondering basically is if certain colleges are more difficult to get into than other, or do departments accept/reject people themselves and after than it's just a matter of assigning you to a college?
    It is the Physics department that will make the decision on your application and not your chosen college. Departments send out offers and rejections from now. Early next year college allocation is done, with offer holders informed of their college allocation at that point. All colleges have a 'quota' for each subject to ensure a balance of students. Some colleges are oversubscribed so some students will be allocated to a different college to the one they requested, although everyone always loves their college once they start!
    College allocations are done by computer and are not made by judging your application. Your college choice will not impact your offer from the Physics department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fw1)
    tvItI

It is the Physics department that will make the decision on your application and not your chosen college. Departments send out offers and rejections from now. Early next year college allocation is done, with offer holders informed of their college allocation at that point. All colleges have a 'quota' for each subject to ensure a balance of students. Some colleges are oversubscribed so some students will be allocated to a different college to the one they requested, although everyone always loves their college once they start!
    College allocations are done by computer and are not made by judging your application. Your college choice will not impact your offer from the Physics department.
    Thanks very much! I was just worried that if I applied to an oversubscribed college, it would lower my chances of getting in to Durham. But as it's the department who makes the admissions, I may as well have ago at getting into my college preference, I'll still be happy wherever I go (If I do get in that is)!

Thanks

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.