Turn on thread page Beta

Britains Biggest Sexist Programme On BBC iPlayer Is A Complete Joke watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...iggest-sexists

Having watched this show yesterday, I was disgusted by the content and the approach of the way this programme was constructed. I have never seen such a level of poor journalism, lack of research and all round such poor use of logic and contradictions. Men and women are physically different which is a fact. I believe men and women are of equal worth to society, however I also believe they are different in and some cases they should do different things. For example why would you want equality between men and women in say boxing, I don't want to see men boxing women, I think its distasteful.

This show was littered with contradictions.

A woman on the show claimed that girls at universities cannot go to cafes or libraries now which is a load of crap because our libraries and cafes are full of girls. She cited a photo of a girl who had her photo taken because she bent over and her thong was visible. If you are a bending down or reaching for something and your underwear becomes visible then your clothes are too tight.

What is infuriating is when it is the other way round its a completely different issue. I'm sure everyone has seen the picture below on Instagram at some point - and I have no problems with it as a male but I don't see where these feminists refute pictures like this. If they believe in equality, then both sexes should not be objectified. Double standards all round. When a male compliments a girl, its objectifying women, when its the other way round - nothing?

The programme also briefly mentioned some calendars being banned due to women appearing topless. I don’t understand this point as in one sense women are being told they are not to be objectified yet in another sense women are being told how to dress, how to behave, how to act – I thought the whole premise of their case was women have the choice? Clearly they do not in this scenario.

I saw a tremendous amount of hate towards these internet YouTube stars known as pick up artists. If they approach a girl and hug her, kiss her, hold her hands, her thighs, her arse and the girl gives the male her number, clearly she doesn't mind this and she is happy and it is all consensual and legal. Again this happens the other way round, I work behind a bar and girls now and then leave me their numbers. I don't have a problem with this - its called meeting people. What are these feminist's problems if a girl gives a guy her number? Who are they to tell her what to do and what not to do.

I thought the lowest point of the programming was the attack on children’s toys. In general its no secret women enjoy shopping for clothes, shoes, make up and men like gadgets and cars etc. That is being general, it is true in a general sense thats why companies target adds to them. There are exceptions, but I dont see the point they are trying to make. Are they saying men and women should buy the same things, dress the same, look the same? Would a make up company spend billions of pounds advertising to males where the market is limited? No, no and no.

I did note the issue raised with pregnant women in the workforce. Whilst I do agree women should not be subjected to any sort of discrimination in the workforce I would like to offer an opinion from the employer’s perspective. Many companies do not discriminate against women, it just financially they take into account cost of paying for her maternity leave, time of cost of training someone else, paying the new person, using more resources and time - that is all that is. Some companies simply cannot afford to pay 2 salaries because they are struggling due to the recession. This is not sexism.

The pay gap between men and women is also another issue they got wrong. Men and women earn same or very similar amount in the same job roles. Its just that higher payed jobs often require 50-60 hours a week and many women prefer to cut down their hours or work part time and concentrate on their children - This is their choice, who is anyone to tell any woman to work 50-60 hours if she doesn't want to - its her choice.

The journalism, if it can be called that, in this programme has to be one of the worst cases ever witnessed. A woman shouting obscene sexist remarks at innocent London City workers is not the quality of television that tax payers should be expecting. Distasteful language all round, "comedians" making "jokes" which have very little humor.

ReputationRep:
    that's a lot of red OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    that's a lot of red OP
    Ok? Your point being?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read, but that programme was a ****ing embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me glad BBC 3 is going away.

ReputationRep:

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    tldr

ReputationRep:
    The presenter made a fool of herself. I don't think the BBC should let her do anymore social experiments. The show was littered with hyperbole, especially those 'pick up artists'. What was that supposed to add.

ReputationRep:
    I have started watching and it is load of horse****.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, summarise. Don't be writing novels up in dis bish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to watch it soon, will report back to this thread when I do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Mate, summarise. Don't be writing novels up in dis bish.
    Sorry, its just a big issue and so many points get raised and need to be tackled rigorously. I went into detail to offer alternative perspective.

Also 3 users above me have pictures of people snogging as their avatar, new trend or am I not regular enough here to be in the know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    Sorry, its just a big issue and so many points get raised and need to be tackled rigorously. I went into detail to offer alternative perspective.

Also 3 users above me have pictures of people snogging as their avatar, new trend or am I not regular enough here to be in the know.
    I only watched 15 minutes of it but I had to stop for 2 reasons, one my time is precious and I will not waste it on drivel. The other, the presenter said that men around the world play Duke Nukem Forever which is a pile of ****.

Also you don't hang around here enough.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the BBC is producing it, I'm actually not surprised it's going to be swayed in the feminists favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Considering the BBC is producing it, I'm actually not surprised it's going to be swayed in the feminists favour.
    It is more than swayed. It is a feminist propaganda film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)

Fair enough, just tldr as well.

It all started when one use claimed same sex couples kissing as an avatar was inappropriate and wanted them banned; ONLY same sex mind, not heterosexual couples. As part of a backlash, users in that thread started posting gifs of same love and told him he was wrong. I took it a step further, after consulting another user (TheonlyMrsHolmes), and made a thread on the situation, asking everyone to change their avatars to same sex couples kissing as part of a protest and to spread the love. Many people did. Quite a few people disliked that and made other threads on it happening but who cares! lol

ReputationRep:
    Did not read, my advice is just to stop caring about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Fair enough, just tldr as well.

It all started when one use claimed same sex couples kissing as an avatar was inappropriate and wanted them banned; ONLY same sex mind, not heterosexual couples. As part of a backlash, users in that thread started posting gifs of same love and told him he was wrong. I took it a step further, after consulting another user (TheonlyMrsHolmes), and made a thread on the situation, asking everyone to change their avatars to same sex couples kissing as part of a protest and to spread the love. Many people did. Quite a few people disliked that and made other threads on it happening but who cares! lol
    Ok I understand now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanDYEL)
    Did not read, my advice is just to stop caring about it.
    Thats kind of difficult to do when shows like this influence girls and women.

Thats why I made this thread pointing out many of their contradictions, and I haven't even included all of them.

I believe in logic, and logic doesn't always finds the answers however logic can sometimes point out a person is wrong by identifying contradictions.

And that show was probably one of the worst pieces of television I have seen in a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    Was it Stacey Dooley again? I haven't watched it but she is just bad at documentary making/presenting.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.