Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34720745

AS EU Commission say limiting immigrant benefits will be ruled illegal do you think David Cameron will get significant EU reforms on key areas e.g. controlling immigration, fishing, lower EU budget, farming (CAP) or a UK veto?

ReputationRep:
    He has no spine or charisma, he has no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    For a politician he actually has quite a lot of both 1 & 2. Name one with more...

I agree about 3 though. Not that anybody else does have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    For a politician he actually has quite a lot of both 1 & 2. Name one with more...

I agree about 3 though. Not that anybody else does have a chance.
    I think Cameron's only real principle is expediency (a good thing IMO) hence accusations of spinelessness.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite likely he could get significant reforms- as long as he has a concrete proposal.

ReputationRep:
    No, but as the media are so far up his arse it will be portrayed to the public as though he's flexed his muscles and shown them who is boss. Hence we shall hail our Etonian masters once more for saving our country, 'umbly doffing our caps with joy to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I think it's quite likely he could get significant reforms- as long as he has a concrete proposal.
    That's like something David Brent would say.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ace123)

AS EU Commission say limiting immigrant benefits will be ruled illegal do you think David Cameron will get significant EU reforms on key areas e.g. controlling immigration, fishing, lower EU budget, farming (CAP) or a UK veto?
    controlling immigration-I think this was already ruled out. We can't change it.
    Fishing- the tossing dead fish away problem? I doubt, but its a small one he could get if he pushed
    lower eu budget- maybe...
    last one no

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely as no one in Brussels believes UK will still be in the EU after 2017 unless of course the referendum doesn't take place.

ReputationRep:
    No but then i don't think it will impact the result much since most people are in Don't Know/Don't care camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I think he has some chance of some movement.

The EU needs the UK quite a lot and looking at what Cameron seems to be asking for, there's nothing too outlandish.

http://www.ictsd.org/bridges-news/br...ons-over-trade

ReputationRep:
    The problem Cameron faces here is that all of the Eurosceptics' traditional bugbears are either
    - already legislated against
    - completely made up
    - have zero actual effect in the real world

Like I saw Newsnight the other night and the one guy said the government had been asked to submit evidence that benefit tourism was a problem to support their demand. Of course they were unable to find any. It must be so confusing to proper countries like Germany that we make policy decisions on the basis of idiotic fantasy opinions held by the public rather than evidence.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid key demand.

The proportion of EU tax payers claiming tax credits is lower than average so I can't imagine, it will achieve anything significant.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not... Don't want him to achieve anything #Piggate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    controlling immigration-I think this was already ruled out. We can't change it.
    Fishing- the tossing dead fish away problem? I doubt, but its a small one he could get if he pushed
    lower eu budget- maybe...
    last one no
    actually fishing is a major issue not just the dead fish issue, the UK has to open our waters to all EU nations & we have 70% of all EU fishing stocks this means the UK loses billions of pounds, thousands of jobs & is why countries like Iceland refused to join the EU, renegotiation should include complete control of UK fishing waters so only British vessels can fish our own waters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I think he has some chance of some movement.

The EU needs the UK quite a lot and looking at what Cameron seems to be asking for, there's nothing too outlandish.

http://www.ictsd.org/bridges-news/br...ons-over-trade
    Germany needs the UK quite a lot because of the way we vote and think alike.. the French and Italians might not be too concerned at the prospect.

ReputationRep:
    Immigrant benefits are already limited. There is plenty of domestic leeway over this already. The treaties are about free movement of workers, not of people who fancy claiming benefits in a new and interesting country.

Significance is of course subjective. I suspect there will be a number of real reforms, quite a few of which I suspect I might agree with. There will be a few forrays into the constitutional structure - like and end to the principle of 'ever closer union' - but ultimately the EU's main structure will remain - and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    The problem Cameron faces here is that all of the Eurosceptics' traditional bugbears are either
    - already legislated against
    - completely made up
    - have zero actual effect in the real world
    He's not trying to convert Eurosceptics. They'll vote out. He's going for that soft middle vote: people who are won over by arguments of how well off they'll be and what impact it will have on themselves and their families.

ReputationRep:
    Cameron will achieve nothing. He has refused to say what he will ask for because he knows if he asks for anything meaningful it will get rejected. So he will come back in a few months time with some trivial concession and claim that is what he wanted all along, when what the public acually wanted all along was border controls, less money spent on it, the ability for the UK to govern itself, etc etc.

ReputationRep:

No, he will achieve less then Major, who also did pretty awfully.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.