Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I drop out of university? Please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Decided to post here because i'm completely torn - I don't know whether to drop out of my uni course or not. I'm currently studying journalism at a very good university, and i'm around 2 months in.

I decided I wanted to do the course pretty much a year and a half ago (so its not always been a main passion of mine). I've always been pretty good at english and writing, and wanted to pursue feature writing or magazine Journalism - I thought a career in either of these would be a very good fit for me, as I love to be creative and write. I was also pretty chuffed that I got into this particular university as it has produced some pretty successful people - needless to say, its a very good opportunity.

I had the impression that my course would cover aspects of journalism that would allow me to be creative, but everything we have covered so far (news-based journalism, news writing, interviews etc) I have not engaged with at all, however hard I try. I did understand that this would be a significant part of the course, but I didn't think I would hate it this much. I find every task uninteresting and difficult - I also find some things we have to do uncomfortable because I can be very shy at times. I really have attempted to get out of my comfort zone, but just end up embarrassing myself. You have to be very outgoing and sometimes pushy, and I really struggle with this.

There are modules that focus on magazine journalism and feature writing next year, along with a lot more news-based stuff, but I find myself questioning if this is really what I want to do? My tutors have mentioned to me that the magazine industry is extremely competitive and demanding, and possibly not right for me.

It's **** because I know I'll feel like a complete failure if I drop out. Everyone who i've talked to has a different opinion on the matter, and i'm very confused. My sisters say that I should take a year out and find out what I really want to do. But people tell me, if I drop out, it may affect the chances of me getting onto another course in the future.

Has anyone had experience of dropping out of university, or has any advice for me? Many, many thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I think it is time to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and start focussing on what you want. It is your life. You are in control. You can make decisions. You have to take the consequences of those decisions. So what do you want?

You know what the options are. Just take a long hard think, make a plan and go for it, whatever it might be. Your sister's advice is very good. Taking time out to make sure your plan is a good one is a grand idea. It might however be worth seeking advice on the options you have with regard to your course. Is it possible to defer for a year at some point for example?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think it is time to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and start focussing on what you want. It is your life. You are in control. You can make decisions. You have to take the consequences of those decisions. So what do you want?

You know what the options are. Just take a long hard think, make a plan and go for it, whatever it might be. Your sister's advice is very good. Taking time out to make sure your plan is a good one is a grand idea. It might however be worth seeking advice on the options you have with regard to your course. Is it possible to defer for a year at some point for example?

Good luck!
    I can't thank you enough, thats great advice Unfortunately I can't defer, because I was originally going to defer but changed my mind, and they told me I couldn't change it again. Thank you so much

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.