Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

First Boyfriend and he is Chinese watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm 18 and a full-time college student. Will be going to the University of Salford in 2016 (hopefully)

I met my friend in China in 2013 on the Great Wall of China and then he started studying his degree in Manchester last year, he is 20 years old and Chinese. Since May 2015 we started dating each other and it has been nearly 7 months. Neither of us have had a girlfriend or boyfriend before, I feel like I don't want it to end. But I think there a few cultural things that I need to learn about, because I don't want to do anything which could cause a break-up. I know parents opinion is important, that's why I re-joined college and working towards a degree as of next year. Is there anything else I should know about? This relationship means a lot to me, we was my first kiss, hug and even the first boy I ever held hands with (Same to with him too) Feeling it's getting more serious, which I like, so please tell me anything you know about the cultural difference of Chinese male dating. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemAllen9)
    Hey, I'm 18 and a full-time college student. Will be going to the University of Salford in 2016 (hopefully)

I met my friend in China in 2013 on the Great Wall of China and then he started studying his degree in Manchester last year, he is 20 years old and Chinese. Since May 2015 we started dating each other and it has been nearly 7 months. Neither of us have had a girlfriend or boyfriend before, I feel like I don't want it to end. But I think there a few cultural things that I need to learn about, because I don't want to do anything which could cause a break-up. I know parents opinion is important, that's why I re-joined college and working towards a degree as of next year. Is there anything else I should know about? This relationship means a lot to me, we was my first kiss, hug and even the first boy I ever held hands with (Same to with him too) Feeling it's getting more serious, which I like, so please tell me anything you know about the cultural difference of Chinese male dating. Thank you!
    Woah woah hold up. So you're doing a degree because you're dating this guy? What about if you break up? Do you genuinely have an interest in this course?
    You will be putting yourself in thousands of pounds of debt over something that could potentially end in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Woah woah hold up. So you're doing a degree because you're dating this guy? What about if you break up? Do you genuinely have an interest in this course?
    You will be putting yourself in thousands of pounds of debt over something that could potentially end in the near future.

Ah, sorry I didn't write that down. Of course I have an interest in a degree. I hope to become an International Event Manager, sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ask him about his culture? and him ask you about yours. Are you a female

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY;[url="tel:60414831")
    60414831[/url]]Why don't you ask him about his culture? and him ask you about yours. Are you a female
    Yeah, I'm a female. I tried asking him but he said he doesn't know...

ReputationRep:
    Finally, Chinese work ethic rubbing off on us unambitious Brits.

Edit: tagging @Mr Smurf for inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Penny with Leonard in The Big Bang Theory XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)

:rofl: tell him i see many White girl/oriental guy couples and whenever i see a white/oriental couple i instantly think of Mr Smurf

ReputationRep:
    I can give you a tip or two. Hit me up with a PM.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Chinese boyfriend so I get your struggle. What I did was basically read books about China when we were together so we had something to talk about in terms of China
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)

Mr Smurf is Filipino, not Chinese haha

(Original post by Student403)
    Sounds like Penny with Leonard in The Big Bang Theory XD
    It's hilarious how you see the humour in OP's very serious dilemma!!!1 :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)

It's hilarious how you see the humour in OP's very serious dilemma!!!1 :hmmm:
    Come on I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that the two situations seem so similar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    To be fair he's an oriental, and many Filipinos are descendants from Chinese immigrant merchants, so ethnically he's probably Chinese, but not China Chinese.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.