Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Self-Taught Economics AS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How feasible would it be for me to teach myself the Econ A/S course in a year alongside 3A2s and another AS?
    I already do Business Studies so hopefully would be at some sort of advantage in terms of understanding and economic understanding.
    Is it the kindof subject that can be learnt through text-book and current affair reading or more like Maths(and probably loadsa others) that really need teacher explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    How feasible would it be for me to teach myself the Econ A/S course in a year alongside 3A2s and another AS?
    I already do Business Studies so hopefully would be at some sort of advantage in terms of understanding and economic understanding.
    Is it the kindof subject that can be learnt through text-book and current affair reading or more like Maths(and probably loadsa others) that really need teacher explanation.
    Just out of curiosity, with 3 other A2s and another AS why would you want to have another AS?
    business studies would help, but I think that self taught economics would be quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'm taking the other AS as unis now look at you having 3A2s + an AS and the one I took this year went pretty badly plus its in Media which isn't that well respects. However if I took Econ it wouldn't be to benefit my UCAS form since most unis only accept Busi or Econ, but it would be because I really enjoy reading and learning about the subject and intend to do it at uni.
    Chances are I won't do it as the workload for A2 is meant to be much bigger than AS, just thought I'd research the possibility.
    yeh sure, I understand it would strengthen your UCAS application, especially if your degree course was something like business, politics etc etc. It might be worth contacting the universities you want to apply to and see what they think; I've done that in the past and they've always been really helpful in replying. Economics is an interesting topic and if you do enjoy current affairs etc it will help but theres a lot of economic theory that needs to be learnt which is often difficult to understand from a text book. But again, thats just the way I've found it. Would you ever consider doing politics - that's certainly an AS which you could do self taught.
    I've recently just done citizenship AS (AQA) I know it sounds really lame like general studies etc, but providing you have basic political, sociology and law knowledge (and I MEAN basic!!) then you'll find it soo easy. Infact, about 60 people were entered in for it at my school not having studied it because so much of it is common sense. So anyway, if you are desperate for another AS (although it doesn't sound too creidble) thats certainly an easy option!

ReputationRep:
    Or Critical Thinking is a good one..

What universities are you thinking of? I have a C in graphic design as my fourth AS (and I'm going to king's college in september to do english !) I don't think they really care what your 4th is in to be honest - a big reason for the whole curriculum 2000 thing was to give people more breadth.

And I wouldn't worry about what your media grade is until you get your results. It's surprisingly easy to get As for AS level.

If you do really want to do economics though then the NEC may be a good place to start: http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/product...ategory_id=493 If you get a good tutor (and seriously, change around until you get someone good!!) then that could work. Especially with a whole year, i imagine you'd do fine.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes , i meant to add.. That although they may not be overly impressed by someone who has both econ and business - it WILL look good, particularly if you do it self-taught. I think that my uni offers were largely down to the fact that I do psychology like that. It's pretty impressive and definitely shows you are capable of independent study - a lot of people can't PROVE that like distance-learners/self-taught people can.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.