The Student Room Group

What is too personal in university questionnaire/personal statement?

Hi,

So I was just wondering, my friend asked me for an opinion on this situation:

(For anonymity I will not mention their name).

A friend of mine is currently applying to UK uni's and most/some of them send additional short-answer questionnaires. One of the questions is how you have demonstrated resilience, as it is a key skill needed in the profession.

My friend lost their mum 2 years ago and it has ever since affected many aspects of their life, giving him new perspectives and maturing. And this friend is telling me that in order to be honest in this questionnaire, they would mention it because it does show tremendous resilience - with keeping up strong grades and excelling in school etc.

The only problem is, how personal can you get with admissions officers reading it? Maybe if you don't go into too much detail and focus on what you've learnt? My friend is very comfortable talking about the situation just doesn't know how universities would react to something so personal - the fact that death is so taboo doesn't help much either.

Do any of you have any advice/tips? What do you think? Should it be mentioned?

Your advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Sarah
Reply 1
I said in my personal statement, that my mother didn't finish her degree because she fled war in her country, and that is why I wanted to study? I think its ok and also I had to email my extenuating circumstances to my university explaining my mother's illness and how it effected my studies. so maybe she can send an email explaining how her mother's death encouraged her to do a degree?
In most cases, I don't think it's appropriate to mention because it's not prompted but in this case they're being asked about a specific character trait and that is demonstrated by what they've coped with. So in this case, I think it would be appropriate.
Reply 3
Original post by somethingbeautiful
In most cases, I don't think it's appropriate to mention because it's not prompted but in this case they're being asked about a specific character trait and that is demonstrated by what they've coped with. So in this case, I think it would be appropriate.

Thanks for your advice!

Anyone else?
(Slight bias to this but) I think that as they're asking about resilience that dealing with a death of a parent certainly shows that, maybe just dont get into the very details of the death more i guess what its taught them if that makes sense.
Original post by claireestelle
(Slight bias to this but) I think that as they're asking about resilience that dealing with a death of a parent certainly shows that, maybe just dont get into the very details of the death more i guess what its taught them if that makes sense.

Agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fine to mention if specifically asked but not generally in a PS. Make sure the focus is on being professional and what you learnt rather than coming across as looking for sympathy.
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
Fine to mention if specifically asked but not generally in a PS. Make sure the focus is on being professional and what you learnt rather than coming across as looking for sympathy.

Agreed with that.

Thank you everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending