Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Personally, how do you define being an open-minded person? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Your own views of being an open-minded person; what's your definition? What's the (dis)advantages and the limits that goes with it?

ReputationRep:
    Accepting peoples views/opinions and respecting them.

(paraphrasing) being able to entertain ideas that you may not agree with. I don't think accepting them is necessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    (paraphrasing) being able to entertain ideas that you may not agree with. I don't think accepting them is necessary
    This basically, able to put the shoe on the other foot in all situations.

and of course, whatever bedroom antics people want to do where both consent is none of business, whatever floats your boat.

ReputationRep:
    Someone that takes more than one thing into consideration, are capable of understanding how others thinks/reach a certain conclusion (unprejudice against other opinions), often do not believe in most things 100%.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Someone who would consider all angles of view. Disadvantage- They are not passionate, thus not advocating anything, which makes little progress.

ReputationRep:
    Someone who takes the time to understand why something maybe the way it actually is. Not someone who just takes someones word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Someone who would consider all angles of view. Disadvantage- They are not passionate, thus not advocating anything, which makes little progress.
    Why aren't they passionate?

ReputationRep:
    If somebody caves your skull in and cuts a hole in your brain then you're pretty open minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Accepting peoples views/opinions and respecting them.
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    Being open to considering and being aware of different view points and perspectives on a given topic, regardless of one's own views.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Why aren't they passionate?
    This is as a whole, they can be. However because they are open to all things, they are usually less focused on one thing, meaning they are less passionate about it.

ReputationRep:
    Letting people live however the hell they please (providing it doesn't infringe on anyone else's human rights and is not discriminatory) and not judging them for it.

Basically, putting yourself in someone else's shoes and trying to understand things from another perspective in a compassionate and fair way even if it doesn't align with your personal views.

ReputationRep:
    This is as a whole, they can be. However because they are open to all things, they are usually less focused on one thing, meaning they are less passionate about it.
    I agree. I would consider myself an open minded person, I'm not passionate about one particular thing, then again I over analyse things to the point where I lose passion in them all together. Maybe I'm an over-analytical person too...that sounds mutually exclusive, doesn't it? lool
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I agree. I would consider myself an open minded person, I'm not passionate about one particular thing, then again I over analyse things to the point where I lose passion in them all together. Maybe I'm an over-analytical person too...that sounds mutually exclusive, doesn't it? lool
    I guess making everything a task does do that. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, like I'm very passionate about feminism, but I can understand some people's view points on it being harmful even if I don't personally disagree. I think a part of being open minded is being able to discuss a differing view point without blowing your top just because you think the other person is wrong.

As long as what someone is doing/saying isn't discriminatory or affecting someone's human rights, it's all cool.

ReputationRep:
    I guess making everything a task does do that. :mmm:
    How mean! I don't make everything a task!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How mean! I don't make everything a task!
    When you said you analyse everything to me that sounds like a task all the time

ReputationRep:
    When you said you analyse everything to me that sounds like a task all the time
    I do it without noticing. It's annoying actually. Like I sometimes I over analyse people, that's the worst. Like my friends at school, when I first meet them I love everything about them and then over time you start analysing their actions and then I'm like "meh..it's an effort just to say hi to you right now"

I don't intentionally mean to be judgemental or anything, it just happens. But normally the things I may judge them on is how open minded they are but it's ironic really lol since I'm the one judging and I claim to be open minded

ReputationRep:
    Being able to admit to yourself that you are wrong about something. Being disciplined enough to do it even when there is a part of your subconscious that doesn't want to.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.