Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    My Physics teacher told me that usually people pick straight physics if they want to go on to do a doctorate. But the university of Lancaster has a course of Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology. Now, my main love in Physics is Cosmology, but I don't know how it will fare with aiding a PhD. It seems more specialised, and would seem to lack completeness in knowledge it would afford me, and so I am torn between which course to pick. Either the MPhys in Physics or the MPhys in Physics with Particle Physics and Cosmology. Any suggestions?

    If you want to do a PhD in particle physics or cosmology then how would a degree with a specialism in that area be a hinderance? The degree will still be accredited by the IoP (I'd hope) so it will still contain all the core physics that you would do otherwise. What's probably the case is that there won't be very much difference between the two degrees, just a few optional modules become mandatory ect.

    As a side note, I'd like to point out that cosmology is an almost entirely theoretical discipline unlike particle physics so a degree in theoretical physics or similar (ie more maths and less labs/electronics) may be better preparation. Having said that, Lancaster's degree may very well account for this and have little to no real drawbacks.

    For some anecdotal evidence, I know a guy who did his undergraduate degree in Mathematical Physics but is now doing a PhD in some experimental field of photonics. Similarly, another guy did Physics and is now doing a PhD in chemical physics. People's interests tend to change over the course of their degree and you will do some advanced modules at the start of your PhD in topics related to your research area.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2015
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.