Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year at college studying a level 3 BTEC in IT 3 days a week. In my first year I didn't feel that it was completely relevant to what I want to do (something in enterprise computer systems and/or networking) and I haven't really learned anything but I thought I'd stick to it and see how the second year goes. Come the second year and it seems worse already. At the moment we are doing 4 units with 4 assignments due this month, 2 of which are business units and have nothing to do with IT and another 2 units on web development and web design which very similar. I feel like I'm wasting time going to college and pointlessly getting stressed making sure that assignments are due in on time as I am fairly busy working most nights and weekends and other complications in life. I've never felt so tired and down since I started college. My parents say that I should stay as I will have wasted all of last year if I drop out but I feel like I will have wasted 2 years if I continue. Ideally I would like to do an apprenticeship but there aren't many out there at the moment so I feel really stuck on what I should do at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year of doing BTEC IT too and i enjoyed it first year and enjoying now so far. What I would tell you is to speak to your tutor and see if you can do another units which have things you enjoy. I don't understand why you complaining about the assignments you do. You only go to college 3 days and you have another 2 days and in those days you can look into doing job of something you like. It's never too late to swap courses if you really think you don't want to it anymore because last years unit will give you 90 credit diploma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stick it out, the IT BTEC is a very good qualification if you do the right units, it sounds like your college has picked some boring units but it might get better

If you want to do an apprenticeship definitely stick it out as you need a level 3 qualification to access 'Higher Apprenticeships' which pay very well (around 15-20k per year) and offer a lot more in terms of personal development, qualifications and ability for progression compared to a standard apprenticeship where you would be getting less than £3 per hour.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.