Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Biomedicine to Medicine? HOW!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you can convert to medicine just after one year of biomedicine? Or do you have to complete the whole 3 year course before you apply for graduate entry. Also does it have to be from the same uni?
    I tried research and I'm very confused
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarbie)
    Does anyone know if you can convert to medicine just after one year of biomedicine? Or do you have to complete the whole 3 year course before you apply for graduate entry. Also does it have to be from the same uni?
    If you want to do a graduate Medicine degree, you need to have graduated, i.e., already have a degree, and you can apply at any uni that offers it.
    If you want to do undergraduate Medicine, you can apply in any application cycle, at any uni.
    If you want to 'switch courses' within your uni, then that's at the uni's discretion, and you'd be doing undergraduate Medicine, starting wherever they want you to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A handful of places offer transfer to medicine after their first year of biomed, but there are only a couple of places available and stringent academic requirements. So if you start a biomed degree the most likely thing is that you will have to finish that degree.

If you can, work towards AAA at a-level and apply to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am applying for UCAS at the moment and I'm very confused
    I basically got ABCD in history, chemistry, maths and biology respectively. I wanted to do medicine, but I pretty much failed at that. So I was planning on studying biomedicine, and maybe converted to medicine after the first year by getting a 2:1 or a first (I know it will be competitive!).

However, obviously I won't get into biomedicine with my grades. But I'm pretty sure next year I can do MUCH BETTER (trust me lol). So this means I fully relying on clearing. If so what grade requirements of uni's should I be looking at for my 5?
    Is it completely impossible for me to go somewhere like Birmingham who ask for AAB? Even if I got three A's on results day?

ReputationRep:
    I basically got ABCD in history, chemistry, maths and biology respectively. I wanted to do medicine, but I pretty much failed at that. So I was planning on studying biomedicine, and maybe converted to medicine after the first year by getting a 2:1 or a first (I know it will be competitive!).

However, obviously I won't get into biomedicine with my grades. But I'm pretty sure next year I can do MUCH BETTER (trust me lol). So this means I fully relying on clearing. If so what grade requirements of uni's should I be looking at for my 5?
    Is it completely impossible for me to go somewhere like Birmingham who ask for AAB? Even if I got three A's on results day?
    Are these your AS grades? If they are, do you know your predicted A2 grades?
    That would let you select your course/locations a bit better. If your predicted grades are good enough then Birmingham will consider you. If not then they won't. Simple. Same applies to all the others.
    You cannot rely on converting to medicine after a year of biomed. Virtually no one ever does that. Only a tiny number across the UK in a small number of courses succeed. More likely you will need to graduate or have a predicted 2.1 in Biomed and then apply. Or, if you get AAA in August apply for medicine the following year

ReputationRep:

Not every university offers transfers from biomed to medicine. I think only one or two unis do actually - nationwide. And you will need to be at the top of the year to be considered. Simply getting a 2:1 or a 1st is not going to cut it. It's not an option you can plan on - so you should go into the degree with the aim and intention of seeing it through.

If you're going to go through Clearing, you'll need to see how you do on the day. Lots of universities have biomed places available in Clearing so it really depends on how you do - if Birmingham have spaces come August there's no reason why you couldn't go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellwallace)
    Are these your AS grades? If they are, do you know your predicted A2 grades?
    That would let you select your course/locations a bit better. If your predicted grades are good enough then Birmingham will consider you. If not then they won't. Simple. Same applies to all the others.
    You cannot rely on converting to medicine after a year of biomed. Virtually no one ever does that. Only a tiny number across the UK in a small number of courses succeed. More likely you will need to graduate or have a predicted 2.1 in Biomed and then apply. Or, if you get AAA in August apply for medicine the following year
    thanks so much! that really helped! im predicted BCC, so yeah I guess those are the grade requirements I'm looking for then Do you know if its possible to get an offer if the grade requirements are BBB? Or is that completely insane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Not every university offers transfers from biomed to medicine. I think only one or two unis do actually - nationwide. And you will need to be at the top of the year to be considered. Simply getting a 2:1 or a 1st is not going to cut it. It's not an option you can plan on - so you should go into the degree with the aim and intention of seeing it through.

If you're going to go through Clearing, you'll need to see how you do on the day. Lots of universities have biomed places available in Clearing so it really depends on how you do - if Birmingham have spaces come August there's no reason why you couldn't go there.
    oh ok thank you so much! what if I completed the course, and then apply for graduate entry? does that make any difference? or maybe i should just stick with biomedical science...

ReputationRep:
    oh ok thank you so much! what if I completed the course, and then apply for graduate entry? does that make any difference? or maybe i should just stick with biomedical science...
    Does it make any difference in what way? A 2:1 is a 2:1 as far as graduate entry medicine is concerned - they won't care about your class ranking. But that's because graduate entry medicine is different to transferring.

Yep if you completed a biomed degree you could apply for graduate entry medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Does it make any difference in what way? A 2:1 is a 2:1 as far as graduate entry medicine is concerned - they won't care about your class ranking. But that's because graduate entry medicine is different to transferring.

Yep if you completed a biomed degree you could apply for graduate entry medicine.
    thank you!! one last question (sorry!). and its a very stupid question but i need to make sure. clearing for places does not necessarily have to be for courses from the uni's you originally applied for? or can it be any uni in the UK that has a space?
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    thank you!! one last question (sorry!). and its a very stupid question but i need to make sure. clearing for places does not necessarily have to be for courses from the uni's you originally applied for? or can it be any uni in the UK that has a space?
    thanks again
    It can be any uni you like which has available places

ReputationRep:
    It can be any uni you like which has available places
    THANKS! I promise this time is the last question so i can apply for bad uni's now with grade requirements that are low (like BCC) but still get into a decent uni like liverpool through clearing on recents day? even if I get offers from not good unis?

ReputationRep:
    THANKS! I promise this time is the last question so i can apply for bad uni's now with grade requirements that are low (like BCC) but still get into a decent uni like liverpool through clearing on recents day? even if I get offers from not good unis?
    You don't have to apologise, the forum is here for people to ask questions!

You can do that yes, but if on results day you decide you want to enter Clearing you will have to ask the uni which you previously accepted an offer from to release you i.e. you will have to give up your firm offer first. Once they do that, you can enter Clearing.

All that matters is that you have the grades on the day. Come August if you get AAA, no one will care what your AS results or predictions were. You can apply where you want so long as they have spaces.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to apologise, the forum is here for people to ask questions!

You can do that yes, but if on results day you decide you want to enter Clearing you will have to ask the uni which you previously accepted an offer from to release you i.e. you will have to give up your firm offer first. Once they do that, you can enter Clearing.

All that matters is that you have the grades on the day. Come August if you get AAA, no one will care what your AS results or predictions were. You can apply where you want so long as they have spaces.
    Thank you! Everything makes sense now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.