Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I have always been very much into literature, but recently started writing a bit myself - nothing groundbreaking, I am just a humble writer - but I enjoy it a lot and I was wondering if anyone else here is writing, and if yes what your genre is, and where (if) you publish your writing and so on. I personally really enjoy writing stories from my childhood, or from my family. We are a very big a family, so there's a lot to tell!

ReputationRep:
    I write quite a bit, nothing published, but I really enjoy it and it helps me relax

As for genres,I've written all sorts ~ fantasy, history, AU, real life

I know it's a bit late for this year, but Google nanowrimo, to get encouraged to write a novel in a month, it's a really good challenge

ReputationRep:
    Hey Vicky, thanks for getting back! Yes I agree - it's also the only thing that really makes me forget the world around me. Thanks for the tip, I had actually never heard of this project, but it sounds so cool!!!! Yes maybe a bit late, but I still will look up the details - if nothing else to consider it next year. Do you normally just keep your writing to yourself, or do you share it all? (family, friends, etc?) I sometimes feel a bit shy about sharing it with people I know haha
    Anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing NANOWRIMO for this november. It will be my first novel : Ambrosia Sea on wattpad. Check it out.

https://www.wattpad.com/story/512612...nanowrimo-2015

:awesome::awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I've found writing prompts are not only super helpful, but really teach you to stretch and reshape your original ideas that may be stuck to one thing (A genre, a point of view, etc.). There's loads of sites and tumblrs with writing prompt cards and there was a book I found and it was something like 600+ writing ideas and questions. I'm not published or anything but I would love to be, just have to get a better schedule to write regularly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by widmnd)
    Hey Vicky, thanks for getting back! Yes I agree - it's also the only thing that really makes me forget the world around me. Thanks for the tip, I had actually never heard of this project, but it sounds so cool!!!! Yes maybe a bit late, but I still will look up the details - if nothing else to consider it next year. Do you normally just keep your writing to yourself, or do you share it all? (family, friends, etc?) I sometimes feel a bit shy about sharing it with people I know haha
    Anyone else feel the same?
    You don't just have to do it in November, I think there's a camp nanowrimo in April or something.

No, I'd NEVER show family/friends, I think writing's a very personal thing. If I could ever perfect a novel/short story, I might try and publish it, but most of what I write is private

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprakes)
    I've found writing prompts are not only super helpful, but really teach you to stretch and reshape your original ideas that may be stuck to one thing (A genre, a point of view, etc.). There's loads of sites and tumblrs with writing prompt cards and there was a book I found and it was something like 600+ writing ideas and questions. I'm not published or anything but I would love to be, just have to get a better schedule to write regularly

I never actually thought of this, thanks for the advice! Or I should say I know about them, but never really used them. It seems I might have missed their potential The good thing is that are are freely available, so I will browse right away! Yes scheduling seems to be at the heart of it all - I am not great at it myself yet, especially when you are studying / working at the same time, or otherwise occupied. I've tried tos et aside at least 1h per day - but on soem days of course you don't even have a spare hour. But I try.

(Original post by Vicky628)
    You don't just have to do it in November, I think there's a camp nanowrimo in April or something.

No, I'd NEVER show family/friends, I think writing's a very personal thing. If I could ever perfect a novel/short story, I might try and publish it, but most of what I write is private
    Oh ok I misunderstood, that's great! April doesn't seem that far off. Thanks for this It does sound really interesting.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah I write books but I'm not really a "young writer".

www.wolfborn.co.uk is my website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Yeah I write books but I'm not really a "young writer".

www.wolfborn.co.uk is my website.
    Do you mean you are not young , or you aren't a writer? Wow it seems you've gotten really far in what I currently more see as a dream / an ambition for myself. Can I ask you how you decided to go about it? (did you go with a publishing company, or did you self-publish? Did someone help you chosing title, cover etc.? )
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Do you mean you are not young , or you aren't a writer? Wow it seems you've gotten really far in what I currently more see as a dream / an ambition for myself. Can I ask you how you decided to go about it? (did you go with a publishing company, or did you self-publish? Did someone help you chosing title, cover etc.? )
    I mean I'm not young lol

Umm...well I wrote a book, people seemed to like it, I decided to self-pub as an ebook, and it stayed only in that format for about a year and a half. Then November last year I self-pubbed it as paperback and started writing the sequel.
    I decided to try and get it out there, focus on marketing and so on, so I looked into conventions. Contacted Yorkshire Cosplay Con about their April 2015 event and the organiser said she would welcome me as a special guest.
    The more people heard about the books, the more they sold, and the more reviews I got.
    I entered the book to InD'Tale Magazine to be reviewed and they gave it 4 out of 5 stars which was very nice for a first novel.
    Then 1st May 2015 the sequel was released. Again people seem to like it. I started going to more conventions, and the more I get out and about the more people know about the book series. Word of mouth spreads...

and so on and so forth.

I've done 15 conventions now since April. (Think it's 15 anyway lol). I'm doing a few more before the end of the year.
    I have a prequel due out soon - before Christmas anyway, though I am kinda hoping for the end of November but we'll see how it goes.
    I have the last 2 books in the saga planned out and they are going to come out next year.
    I'm down to be a special guest at an event again next year.
    The more events I go to, the more I mingle with not only readers but other authors as well, so that gets me connections I might not have ordinarily had. For example I was on an author's panel at Blackpool Comic Con which was recorded for a podcast for Starburst Magazine.

It's just a matter of getting out there and doing everything in your power to get your books known about. The market for books is absolutely saturated. You need to stand out somehow.

I chose the titles myself.
    My husband and my dad help to proof-read and edit.
    As for the covers, my husband does those. He also lays out the books in In Design ready to go to Ingram Spark (the printing company I use).
    ISBNs I purchase myself from Nielsen.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thanks for so much for sharing your story. It sounds so amazing - every writer's dream I guess! I can see what you mean about fame and it sometimes being a snowball effect - once you start building a bit of a reputation, I can imagine one thing leads to another - but getting to that first step is hard. It's great you had so much support from you dad and husband I feel like I should read your books now! Oh yeah, ISBNs... it's those little details I keep forgetting about.
    But when you go with a publishing house, are they the ones taking care of all of that ? (cover, layout etc too)
    Sorry for all the questions, now that I know your sequel is due soon I feel really bad. Feel free to ditch us until it is published :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry to interrupt, but a few days ago I had a conversation about this topic :P I don’t write books (not even diary - I am really, really untalented), but I know someone who does and who already managed to get published by Novum Publishing It was not easy for him, to find someone who accepts his manuscript but after a few attempts, it finally worked out for him… Normally, big publishing houses refuse people, who have a lack of reputation and experience, so it is rather hard to gain a foothold in this industry. But if you wrote a good and fascinating page-turner that fits into their publishing list, your chances are much bigger to become a “real”author

But when you go with a publishing house, are they the ones taking care of all of that ? (cover, layout etc too)
    As far as I know, not everypublisher includes you into the whole process and considers your opinions about layout, graphics and so on, but a few do!

However, if you have the feeling, that you and your book are ready for publishing, just send it to a bunch of publishing houses and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    I'm eighteen and traditionally published. I write YA contemporary romance, and the first two instalments are already available across the UK with the third instalment being released in February. They're available in Waterstones, WHSmith, Foyles and so on. The foreign rights are currently sold to ten other countries, including the US. I'm actually published by HarperCollins over in India which is pretty awesome. I do book tours, live radio interviews, newspaper interviews, attend magazine parties, open new libraries and next year I'm travelling to other countries to carry out publicity. Just yesterday I was filming for two new CBBC programmes, so there's always other cool things happening other than just writing. I was posting my work online since the age of thirteen, primarily on Wattpad, until I got my book deal last December when I was seventeen. I left school and now I'm a full-time author.

ReputationRep:
    So young and already published - congrats! That sounds amazing, it must be great to be able to do what you love and earn money while doing so! And the travelling too. But how come you ended up with an Indian publsihing house? Do you have any personal link with India, or was it more of a coincidence? And anyways what's the name of your book series so we can check it out?

And thanks for the message candycurls, yes I thought I had seen your nick before - it sounded familiar somehow. Yes it isn't an easy thing, but definitely worth trying if writing is what you love to do I guess! I like the idea of having someone who helps you through it all. It can be so daunting to have to decide everything on your own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    So young and already published - congrats! That sounds amazing, it must be great to be able to do what you love and earn money while doing so! And the travelling too. But how come you ended up with an Indian publsihing house? Do you have any personal link with India, or was it more of a coincidence? And anyways what's the name of your book series so we can check it out?

Thank you! My publisher isn't based in India, lol, I just meant that HarperCollins is my publisher for the Indian editions of my work (which is cool because they're such a huge publisher!) My main publisher and UK publisher is based in Edinburgh. It's known as the "DIMILY" trilogy

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh haha sorry I totally misunderstood - it did strike me as odd. And yes that is a huge publisher and pretty cool! Oh wow that's great, I live in Edinburgh!!!! Beautiful city. And somehow it really suits writing and literature, there is such a rich heritage there. You can totally be inspired to write there (maybe what happened to you?). I mean J.K. Rowling lives/lived there, that says it all! Tahnks, I will check it out

ReputationRep:
    And thanks for the message candycurls, yes I thought I had seen your nick before - it sounded familiar somehow. Yes it isn't an easy thing, but definitely worth trying if writing is what you love to do I guess! I like the idea of having someone who helps you through it all. It can be so daunting to have to decide everything on your own I guess.
    Haha, yes I can remember your name too Yeah, you are absolutely right! If your really love doing something, it will become a success some day So, if you like the idea of having a bit of guidance during the process, just check them out or try to find someone, who will support you in the way you need it! Remember: it is a hard business and it will demand a lot of patience and power of endurance from you, but it will be worth it when your book finally gets published However, I wish you all the best and even though not everything works out the way you imagine, don’t let problems get you down easily

ReputationRep:
    Yes I really hope so too! Fingers toes etc are crossed. And thanks a lot for the positive vibes, always appreciated
    And these guys you mentioned are based where? (sorry forgot to ask). I hope it's the UK as this is where I am living currently.

ReputationRep:
    No worries! I am happy to help you My friend currently lives and works in London (that’s were he also wrote his book ) And as far as I know, Novum has subsidiaries in the UK, Germany, Austria, Spain and so on… so if you decide to live abroad, it won’t be a problem to get your book published anyway :P I don’t know exactly, where they have their office in the UK, but I am sure that google may help! Otherwise, look at their Website or simply make a call I am pretty sure, that it won’t be a problem if you ask someone there!

ReputationRep:
    hi !

i have written various things... they are here ?

www.longspoon.wordpress.com

hopefully my genius will be recognized sooner than later ?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.