Turn on thread page Beta

Am I eligible for a maintenance grant though I'm doing an Art foundation degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an Art foundation diploma at Leeds College of Art. I don't have to pay the fees because I will be under 19 when I start the course.
    However I don't live in Leeds but Preston which means I have two options. Either I commute or get accommodation. So I need to know if I'll be eligible
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by tazmin98)
    I'm doing an Art foundation diploma at Leeds College of Art. I don't have to pay the fees because I will be under 19 when I start the course.
    However I don't live in Leeds but Preston which means I have two options. Either I commute or get accommodation. So I need to know if I'll be eligible
    foundation diplomas aren't eligible from what i know. I think commuting from preston to leeds would be pretty difficult though i m afraid.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I seem to remember that these are level 3 courses, which are the same level as A Levels. You can only get help with your tuition fees. (hence not having to pay anything) Your college may have a fund you can apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazmin98)
    No you can't get a maintenance loan, for that reason most people study it at their local college unless they have very well off parents who can pay for accommodation. It's a good 2 hour train journey from Preston to Leeds in most cases, often involving a change, and that doesn't include time between stations at either end so its not really a feasible commute. You also have to consider the cost of that commute too- you might find its still a few thousand pounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    No you can't get a maintenance loan, for that reason most people study it at their local college unless they have very well off parents who can pay for accommodation. It's a good 2 hour train journey from Preston to Leeds in most cases, often involving a change, and that doesn't include time between stations at either end so its not really a feasible commute. You also have to consider the cost of that commute too- you might find its still a few thousand pounds.
    Okay thank you

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.