Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Article: What's the point of mock exams? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Are mock exams just an excuse for giving everyone a kick up the bum and forcing them into frantic cramming? Actually, no.

Pete Langley, our resident teacher, explains how you can take control of your mock exams and use them to unlock the top grades.

Read more >>

ReputationRep:
    Wing it so you can see what you actually don't know

ReputationRep:
    use them to get used to the actual paper, but if your predicted an a* and you get Bs don't sweat it. Think of it as a chance to consolidate your notes and practice the paper but very importantly
    1) they aren't as important as your real thing
    2) bad mocks have little correlation to bad gcse for a smart person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
    mocks gave me a false sense of hope throughout year 13

I performed very well on them compared to my real exams

they don't give a good indication to your actual performance in my experience
    Yeah, I'd also second this - and add that if you do very well if your mocks, you have to be careful not to get conceited.

But I had the opposite experience with my Year 13 mocks - I did really well in them and got all A*s, which motivated me because it showed me what I could achieve if I tried, and gave me confidence. I went on to get exactly the same grades in my real exams.

ReputationRep:
    My year 12 mocks got my hopes up - I got Cs and Bs and then got Ds in the actual exams.

The year 13 ones were more hopeful... because I was revising compulsively (and obsessively - I burned out at easter) I got good grades which motivated me to keep going. All of the mock exams I did, I re-did towards May and June and improved further. It depends on how you think and work
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I'm totally against mocks, at least for English A-levels. I don't understand why schools force students to do one.

I never revised for mocks, I never saw the point and my brain just didn't work like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I never revise for mocks, and use them to identify where to focus the revision.
    I do EXACTLY the same thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    They are retards, I'll give you that. Love how they feel so good about themselves when they do it and then are so upset on results day.
    Maybe I'm being harsh. Who cares though.
    No, you are absolutely right!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In my school no one can really be arsed with them as the schools rule is that you only need to get 30% in order to be allowed to sit the final exam so that is all anyone really aims for. Plus if you get on well with your teacher and you score lower than 30% most of the time you will still be allowed as it really isn't that strictly enforced.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't revise for mine and I regretted it immensely.

ReputationRep:
    Just wing it, mocks are nothing like the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan3003)
    Just wing it, mocks are nothing like the real thing.
    Other than the fact you're sitting real exam papers, in real exam conditions...?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not want to do well so your teachers think you're a genius?

ReputationRep:
    yeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Are mock exams just an excuse for giving everyone a kick up the bum and forcing them into frantic cramming? Actually, no.

Pete Langley, our resident teacher, explains how you can take control of your mock exams and use them to unlock the top grades.

Read more >>
    I found mine to be useful at gcse actually.

I revised for them and got decent grades, When going through my papers I identified my weakest parts and focused on them when approaching exams. HOWEVER, I did fall into the trap of getting cocky about the subjects I did well in, barely revised for them, and ended up with a lower grade.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.