Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically I need to apply to 6th forms/colleges etc by the end of this month but I honestly don't know what to do.
    So first of all my school already has one and it is brand new, and this is its 2nd year running. Most of friends are going here and the teachers like me as I'm a very good student. I don't particualrly like these girls who think that I'm friends with them and I kind of want to get away from them. But the thing is there's I'm kinda scared that if I go I'll won't do well because some of the teacher teaching their have taught me since I was in year 7 and now they are teaching a level and they won't know what to do.
    The 2nd 6th form is one that is nearby and I already when to the open day and I quite liked the school, and some of the teachers I met and they were very welcoming. I know a few people are in my year group and they I used to go to the same primary school as them. Overall I liked the place in general. The school's academics is better than mine and for the past couple of years they've always been above the national percentage. However when I told one tutor/form teacher she said that she didn't see the point of someone going to another place when my school already has one and a place where I know everyone already. But that is the thing I want to go to somewhere new, where there is a new environment but i kind of get what she means. She said that in her experience it was a bad choice for her and she said that during the 2 years if I went somewhere else I wouldn't have time to make new friends and to settle in. I was slightly offended when she said that to me as she was implying that I can't make friends.
    The next thing is that I know that I want to go to university and that is my ultimate goal but my parents what me to go into medicine as they say that I'm good and one of my teachers told me that I had a good eye for detail. The want me to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology but I honestly don't want to that. I want to do Maths, Geograpghy, Psychology or Business and Bio or Chem only one of them. I told my parents this and they said that I shouldn't do that because I wouldn't be able to get a job when I'm older. I know that I don't want to go into to medicine because it doesn't interest me as much as it used to before.
    Can someone give me advice please? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    This might sound a bit cheesy but follow your heart go to the college you feel most comfortable with,if you're really desperate to start afresh go to the nearby college or if you want to go to a college knowing about the teachers and the atmosphere then go to your school's sixth form.Personally I find that staying in your school's sixth form saves you time from adjusting to a new environment and your school will have your your back which I think is so important because A-Levels are a stressful time .Your sixth form will look after you because you're one of their own students.Just try not to think too much about where you want to go just focus on your GCSE's college is next year. Do A-Level Chemistry it's amazing and so broad and links with maths.Even people studying Law sometimes do A-Level Chemsistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishmoshmogo)
    This might sound a bit cheesy but follow your heart go to the college you feel most comfortable with,if you're really desperate to start afresh go to the nearby college or if you want to go to a college knowing about the teachers and the atmosphere then go to your school's sixth form.Personally I find that staying in your school's sixth form saves you time from adjusting to a new environment and your school will have your your back which I think is so important because A-Levels are a stressful time .Your sixth form will look after you because you're one of their own students.Just try not to think too much about where you want to go just focus on your GCSE's college is next year. Do A-Level Chemistry it's amazing and so broad and links with maths.Even people studying Law sometimes do A-Level Chemsistry
    I get what you mean but I just want to go somewhere new but I'm confused because different people keep telling me to do different things. I might consider chemistry because I'm doing well in it and I kind of enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    You should do whatever it is you want to do. As for your A-Level choices, you are going to be spending 2 years studying your subjects intensively, and there will be so much content to learn and understand. If you don't enjoy the subjects you're doing you will find it so difficult and won't be motivated to learn. And medicine is an intense career to get into. You'll have to do so much work -not that you wouldn't for other careers- but it is the kind of field you pursue if you're passionate about it, otherwise you'll really hate it.

Do what it is that you want to do. I understand that your parents are worried about how difficult it is to get a good paid job in some other areas you might be interested in, but applying to study medicine at uni is arguably the most competitive degree, so it will difficult, and if you get in and try to do medicine when you don't really enjoy it, there are so many that want to do it, but won't get selected. Besides, if you're smart enough to try to aim for medicine, if you work hard, you'll probably do well in whatever it is that you want.

ReputationRep:
    any more suggestions from people because I'm still kinda stuck and I honestly don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I chose to go to a different sixth form when deciding to help brace myself for change if I am to go uni and not become to use to staying in the same place

ReputationRep:
    As other people have already said, it's ultimately your decision, not your parents or your teachers. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature at AS level and Politics at A2 level which some people said wasn't a good decision as it was indecisive not to go down just a science or humanities root but I chose to do the subjects I enjoy the most and subjects which will keep my options open for the future when I apply to University as I am unsure at the moment what I want to do when I'm older and what I would want to study at University. Therefore, there is no reason why you can't do a mix of the subjects that you stated you were interested in, don't be put off by thinking you have to choose only science or only humanities as I know from experience now that this isn't the case. I thoroughly enjoy Biology and Chemistry and find they work well together as some of the subject knowledge loosely overlaps in places. The Chemistry AS level also builds and expands on a lot of the GCSE knowledge making sense of it and proving lots of it wrong so if you said you were interested in Chemistry then maybe you should look at some of the syllabus online and see if you would enjoy learning it.

I also go to a sixth form that isn't the same as my secondary school but find that I have made friends already and everyone starting is in the same position as they are all new so everyone is really friendly. You can still keep in contact with old friends but it might push you out of your comfort zone as well to interact more with people you don't know and if the academics at that school are more suited to you then you might find yourself surrounded by more like minded people who you will find it easier to get along with- I know I have found this to largely be the case.

So, if you are unsure what to do then maybe think of doing a mixture of subjects that you suggested to keep your options open but only choose the ones you really enjoy to ensure you will be motivated to study them. Don't be put off by the concept of a new school and making new friends too much as you will surprise yourself on how quickly you will settle into a new school. Just make sure whatever you choose is your decision and no one else's as you are the only one who will have to live with the choice you make. Once you start at sixth form you will probably find that you enjoy what you are studying and you will feel you have made the right choice whatever you choose so don't put too much pressure on yourself when making the decision.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.