Turn on thread page Beta

University: has it always been a middle-class ideal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This question is really just for gaining some insight more than anything else.

Has the very idea of University always been for the Middle class or the more wealthier demographic in the United Kingdom?

I say this because (as a generalisation), we all know back 'in the day' it was only the most wealthiest that had the privilege of a Uni education.

Nowadays, with the expansion of access to education (student loans), and the state school system pushing the less privileged into higher ed we have seen a shift in the number of the working classes attending.

However, in my personal experience of attending two separate institutions (non-russell group) whilst as an undergraduate, there was still an overwhelming number of middle-class and well off students in attendance. More so, than those that seemingly came from less affluent backgrounds.

The reasons for asking this, is really because I work with a majority of young people (teenage and early twenties) that are seemingly 'middle class', affluent and their parents are really rich or hold down good jobs.

Me, on the other hand, I have a very working class background and ethic. Though, I've been to university and now graduated, I can't help but feel that even in the way they interact with me, they like to make it clear of their class. Some of these kids haven't even gone to uni!

I had noticed also, by a lot of their attitudes, some of them detest uni and don't feel its worth it. Perhaps this is them internalising their parents attitudes of 'lets not send them to uni, the value of the degree has gone down- because the gov has allowed mass concentration of 'working classes' into H.E.'. Its this kind of attitude that annoys me, but it is the attitude of some of them.

What do you all think?

tldr:

1. Has higher education always been a thing for the middle classes?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.