Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Development Studies Masters Application Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello one and all,

This is my first ever post on the Student Room so here goes.

I am a current third year student of International Relations at Swansea University who is contemplating applying for a Masters degree programme.

I feel very lost and this is why I have turned to the Student Room.

It is my desire to one day be in a career within the field of development and I feel studying for a masters is a necessary step.

My A-Levels are relatively weak- Geography B, History C, Philosophy C. I have felt regret since leaving sixth form as to never trying hard at that stage. I think girlfriends and booze generally got the better of me :doh:.

However, I still feel anything is possible if you work hard enough.

Graduating from Swansea University I am unsure as to what my options realistically are in regards to my Masters.

My average mark from my first year was 61.5, and from my second 66.

I am expected to graduate with a 2:1 but if I were to really push I do believe I could achieve a 1st.

The summer just gone I was able to teach English in Thailand with the British Council for 9 weeks. It was an extremely valuable experience and I want to try and keep the ball rolling in regards to work experience. I am also involved in the Swansea City of Sanctuary Project which aids and mentors incoming refugees and asylum seekers.

Even though my record might not be as strong academically compared to others I hope to show that this is a field which I am generally interested in. As it really is!

I also realise how utterly competitive this whole process is, which sometimes really scares me that I way behind others.

Anyway these are some of the programmes I have seen and are interested in. I want people to be blunt and honest with me and tell if I'm overstepping the mark a little too much.

MA Governance and Development - University of Sussex
    MA Conflict Security and Development- University of Sussex
    MA Global Development and Africa- Leeds University
    MA Conflict Development and Security- Leeds University
    MA Dispute and Conflict Resolution- SOAS
    MSc Development Studies- SOAS
    MSc International Development- Manchester University

As I am graduating with a BA I am weary of applying for MSc's. Should I be? What difference in course content/structure should I come to expect. Do MSc's show greater practical expertise?

I have also found myself interested in study at a number of European institutes for my studies, partly due to fees, partly due to experiencing a different student culture.

I'm interested in:

MSc Development Studies- Lund University (2 years)
    MSc Global Development- Copenhagen University (2 years)
    MA International Humanitarian Action- University of Groningen

I realise that UK degrees are so sort after for a reason so is it a good idea to deviate? Also the same question again are these uni's simply not in my reach?

Apologies for the length of this, any advice given would be extremely valuable to me. Tell me how it is. I prefer directness. If I do look like a weak candidate on paper please tell me, but then also offer avenues on how I may be able to improve.

Many thanks,

Sean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fih95)
    Hello one and all,

This is my first ever post on the Student Room so here goes.

I am a current third year student of International Relations at Swansea University who is contemplating applying for a Masters degree programme.

I feel very lost and this is why I have turned to the Student Room.

It is my desire to one day be in a career within the field of development and I feel studying for a masters is a necessary step.

My A-Levels are relatively weak- Geography B, History C, Philosophy C. I have felt regret since leaving sixth form as to never trying hard at that stage. I think girlfriends and booze generally got the better of me :doh:.

However, I still feel anything is possible if you work hard enough.

Graduating from Swansea University I am unsure as to what my options realistically are in regards to my Masters.

My average mark from my first year was 61.5, and from my second 66.

I am expected to graduate with a 2:1 but if I were to really push I do believe I could achieve a 1st.

The summer just gone I was able to teach English in Thailand with the British Council for 9 weeks. It was an extremely valuable experience and I want to try and keep the ball rolling in regards to work experience. I am also involved in the Swansea City of Sanctuary Project which aids and mentors incoming refugees and asylum seekers.

Even though my record might not be as strong academically compared to others I hope to show that this is a field which I am generally interested in. As it really is!

I also realise how utterly competitive this whole process is, which sometimes really scares me that I way behind others.

Anyway these are some of the programmes I have seen and are interested in. I want people to be blunt and honest with me and tell if I'm overstepping the mark a little too much.

MA Governance and Development - University of Sussex
    MA Conflict Security and Development- University of Sussex
    MA Global Development and Africa- Leeds University
    MA Conflict Development and Security- Leeds University
    MA Dispute and Conflict Resolution- SOAS
    MSc Development Studies- SOAS
    MSc International Development- Manchester University

As I am graduating with a BA I am weary of applying for MSc's. Should I be? What difference in course content/structure should I come to expect. Do MSc's show greater practical expertise?

I have also found myself interested in study at a number of European institutes for my studies, partly due to fees, partly due to experiencing a different student culture.

I'm interested in:

MSc Development Studies- Lund University (2 years)
    MSc Global Development- Copenhagen University (2 years)
    MA International Humanitarian Action- University of Groningen

I realise that UK degrees are so sort after for a reason so is it a good idea to deviate? Also the same question again are these uni's simply not in my reach?

Apologies for the length of this, any advice given would be extremely valuable to me. Tell me how it is. I prefer directness. If I do look like a weak candidate on paper please tell me, but then also offer avenues on how I may be able to improve.

Many thanks,

Sean
    With a solid 2:1 in second year then getting a place at the universities you've listed shouldn't be difficult, the competition for places at postgrad level isn't that great, however expect to have to entirely self fund as funding is very limited and usually reserved for those with top grades. Your A-level grades shouldn't matter at all for postgrad and your work experience is more than sufficient for a postgrad application, however if you want to be applying for a job after then I cannot stress enough how important experience is, so the more the better for the future.

ReputationRep:
    With a strong personal statement it is possible to get into a masters unrelated to your first degree. This can be done with 2:2 in undergraduate. It sounds like you'll be fine

Edited to add: A levels are likely not to determine entry to a masters either in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary to write your A-level on your CV for a master application?
    I mean for me it was 10 years ago and meanwhile I've done some work experience in different countries. It hurts my eyes to look at my A-level on this CV :P

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am Kumar Prashant from Jawaharlal Nehru University, India. I am a BA 2nd year student planning to apply in 2018 for my MSc in Development Studies. Right now, I am pursuing my BA in Russian Language and Literature, which is entirely different from what I wish to do in my Masters. However, I have a few optional modules like International Relations, African Literature, Environment, Anthropological Theories of Societies and Culture and others.

On the positive side, I have maintained high first class grades 8.6/9 which is the top thing in the class. I hope to pass with an 8.0+ degree. Again, I have done two internships--2 months each, that focus on development. I have also worked with my campus newspaper, and am on my way to be the Editor next year. I have also worked with The Citizen, a newspaper where I developed myself in development journalism. I have published a research paper on homosexuality and cinema (not related I know) and I am working on a second one on development.

I have also won several awards, including one from the President of the country on a science project (won the national level) that focused on sustainable agriculture and a gold medal at the state level for child rights. I am a member of Collective: a left writing group and a volunteer at Gender Sensitization Committee against Sexual Harassment at college.

How strong are my chances of getting an admission? What more do I need to do to get it for sure? Since I still have a year left (I start my application in Oct next year) what more can I do to make myself a better candidate?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.