What's the difference between a gene and a genetic code?

Watch this thread
FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So a gene is a sequence of bases on a DNA molecule that codes for a protein whereas a genetic code carries info that codes for proteins, so are they both the same?
Lighfy
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FluffyCherry)
So a gene is a sequence of bases on a DNA molecule that codes for a protein whereas a genetic code carries info that codes for proteins, so are they both the same?
Genetic code refers to the primary sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain which can, for example, code for proteins (as you mentioned above). It can also refer to the introns in DNA sequences as well, but I wouldn't worry about this if you're studying A level. So yes, essentially the definition of a gene and genetic code are the same.
loukas2993
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lighfy)
Genetic code refers to the primary sequence of amino acids in a polypeptide chain which can, for example, code for proteins (as you mentioned above). It can also refer to the introns in DNA sequences as well, but I wouldn't worry about this if you're studying A level. So yes, essentially the definition of a gene and genetic code are the same.
I would hazard saying a genetic code is the same as a gene, despite both being heavily related. The genetic code consists of codons of three nucleotides which, after transcription and translation, yield the primary AA sequence of a polypeptide. It is not, however, the primary AA sequence itself.

A gene is simply a distinct sequence (or distinct part of the genetic code if you will) forming part of a chromosome.
hknobody
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FluffyCherry)
Genetic code refers to the codons-amino acid pair in the 64 codon table, as in the phrase "genetic code is universal" (the same codon codes for the same amino acid in all sorts of living organisms on earth).

While a gene is the fragment of DNA that codes for a protein, as in "eye color gene" or "hemoglobin gene"

NOT the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads