Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I wonder if someone could help me with this question. I am struggling to grasp exactly what to do

PCl5 (g) ⇌ PCl3 (g) + Cl2 (g)

at 250 oC, in a 2.0dm3 vessel, there is 0.15 mol of PCl3 and 0.090 mol of Cl2.
    Kc = 0.19 mol dm-3 at 250 oC

Q) Calculate the amount of PCl5 at equilibrium, and hence the mass of PCl5 at equilibrium.

So far I've figured out that the concentration of PCl5, [PCl5], is 0.0178 mol dm-3. But what now? I'm so confused!

Many thanks for your support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Hey, I wonder if someone could help me with this question. I am struggling to grasp exactly what to do

PCl5 (g) ⇌ PCl3 (g) + Cl2 (g)

at 250 oC, in a 2.0dm3 vessel, there is 0.15 mol of PCl3 and 0.090 mol of Cl2.
    Kc = 0.19 mol dm-3 at 250 oC

Q) Calculate the amount of PCl5 at equilibrium, and hence the mass of PCl5 at equilibrium.

So far I've figured out that the concentration of PCl5, [PCl5], is 0.0178 mol dm-3. But what now? I'm so confused!

Many thanks for your support.
    I'm a little puzzled by the information you've given, can you clarify: do you mean 0.15 mol of PCl3 and 0.090 mol of Cl2 were put into the reaction vessel or were they in those quantities at equilibrium?
    I'm sure you need to know the quantity of at least one of the reactants used initially and one of the quantities at equilibrium, otherwise you can't work it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    I'm a little puzzled by the information you've given, can you clarify: do you mean 0.15 mol of PCl3 and 0.090 mol of Cl2 were put into the reaction vessel or were they in those quantities at equilibrium?
    I'm sure you need to know the quantity of at least one of the reactants used initially and one of the quantities at equilibrium, otherwise you can't work it out.
    Sorry about that! It is supposed to be the equilibrium mixture.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that! It is supposed to be the equilibrium mixture.
    That's fine, do you know how much of each were put in, initially?

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, do you know how much of each were put in, initially?
    To answer the other part of your question, I also thought that since the question asks for the amount present at equilibrium we don't need to worry about initial quantities? Not sure though. As I say, I can only manage to get as far as finding the concentration of PCl5. I am wondering if dividing this concentration by the volume of the vessel (2dm3) could give me the number of moles? Does that work?

ReputationRep:
    That is all the information provided also.

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to rearrange to Kc expression to find the conc [PCl5], then work from there.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the other part of your question, I also thought that since the question asks for the amount present at equilibrium we don't need to worry about initial quantities? Not sure though. As I say, I can only manage to get as far as finding the concentration of PCl5. I am wondering if dividing this concentration by the volume of the vessel (2dm3) could give me the number of moles? Does that work?
    Sorry, sorry, never mind that. In all of these types of questions I've done, it's been to calculate Kc rather than this. You need initial to calculate kc but not for this.

Your value for the concentration of PCl5 is fine, just multiply that by the volume it's in to get the moles.

N = CV !

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, sorry, never mind that. In all of these types of questions I've done, it's been to calculate Kc rather than this. You need initial to calculate kc but not for this.

Your value for the concentration of PCl5 is fine, just multiply that by the volume it's in to get the moles.

N = CV !
    Grrr can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks so much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.